Pass Labs X350.5 and the CLS 2z's....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great write up Ray! I enjoyed it very much. I just wish I could put in words how I experience my system as well as you do. Definitely an art form to put down in words as you did. If you are ever in the Tampa Bay area please stop by for an audition of my 2CH reg at my home. Again, thinks for the write up!

Thank you George.

I just took a gander of your system. Very nice!

I will be receiving a Pass linestage preamp sometime soon, but it will likely be the single chassis one, since the XP-20 was already reviewed by someone else in our staff.

Thank you for the invite. Likewise, if you find yourself in the Wellington/West Palm Beach area, please give me a holler!

Cheers,
Ray

Great write up Ray! I enjoyed it very much. I just wish I could put in words how I experience my system as well as you do. Definitely an art form to put down in words as you did. If you are ever in the Tampa Bay area please stop by for an audition of my 2CH reg at my home. Again, thinks for the write up!

Great write-up Ray. One of my all-time favorite amps. The X-350.5 is hard to beat for sheer muscle and musicality.

If it wasn't Krell it would be Pass for me ! Nice review

review

FYI, guys.
My review of the Pass X350.5 was just published.

Anyone using CLS' and/or CLX's especially, may want to give it a read.
http://www.dagogo.com/home.asp

Cheers,
Ray

Fabulous review Ray, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

In the final review photo it appears the CLS's are in a relatively small room, although the wall to the right side isn't shown. What are the room dimensions? Reason I ask is I've just sold my Vista's and I'm anticipating placing a pair of CLS's in a room that's barely 11' wide after downsizing to a smaller home.

Enjoy,
Greg

Greg,
I think the picture is deceiving due to the wide angle lense.
My room is actually 22' x 22' x 8'.

A width of 11' would be very very tight. The CLS's are best well away from any walls.
In my room, they are 3' from the side walls and 5' from the rear walls.

I do know of two gentlemen, one using original CLS' and one using Quad 57's, where they set their speakers up in a nearfield arrangement due to relatively small quarters. The results are actually quite surprising. It's like the worlds largest and most comfortable headphone! I'm not suggesting you try this, unless there are no other alternatives given your space limitations.

Good luck,
Ray

I've just sold my Vista's and I'm anticipating placing a pair of CLS's in a room that's barely 11' wide after downsizing to a smaller home.

I've already done this!

I also had a pair of Vista's that I've replaced with CLS IIz's in a 10' by 18' listening room. The z's are about 4.5' from the front wall, but are only about 1' from the side walls. I sit about 10' back from the speakers and have about 3' behind my chair to the rear wall. The room is heavily treated and the z's sound great! I do crossover the z's at about 77Hz using a 12dB slope to my JL F112 sub.

I think if you have room length to work with it'll help out!;)

I'm curious...

I've already done this!

I also had a pair of Vista's that I've replaced with CLS IIz's in a 10' by 18' listening room. The z's are about 4.5' from the front wall, but are only about 1' from the side walls. I sit about 10' back from the speakers and have about 3' behind my chair to the rear wall. The room is heavily treated and the z's sound great! I do crossover the z's at about 77Hz using a 12dB slope to my JL F112 sub.

I think if you have room length to work with it'll help out!;)

Have you ever tried the CLS's on the "long" wall and listening to them toed-in and nearfield? The results are rather interesting, especially in a room the size of yours.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,
Ray

Back