Quick Q: Sunfire Amps...older vs. newer models

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am starting to look at Sunfire amps for my HT system. The newer Sunfire TGAs vs. the older Grand Cinema Signature etc. Is the quality the same as the older units?

Thanks in advance.

One more thing...is 200 watts (at 8 ohms; 400 at 4 ohms) enough for my Vantages...or do i need to get the big daddy 400 @ 8, 800 @ 4??

One more thing...is 200 watts (at 8 ohms; 400 at 4 ohms) enough for my Vantages...or do i need to get the big daddy 400 @ 8, 800 @ 4??

Plenty............as far as the older units I'll let the 'Sunfire' crowd chime in but I'd say if they are in top operating condtion......go for it and save some coin !

My Aeon i are driven by the Sunfire 5200 (bi-amp'd) with ease, although i wonder what the 5400 would sound like.

ML recommends 20 - 400 W for these speakers and 50 - 500 for the Vantages. I suspect that 200 W, especially Sunfire Watts, will work well with the Vantages.

That being said, i wish that i was able to purchase the 5400. If you can swing it, why not.

Having already owned Sunfire TGA 5400 and 7400, I can say they easily drove Summits, Sources, Vistas, Stylos, Logos, Stages, and CLXs. The Sunfires really made them sing.

I would guess that the 5200 will handle your Vantages quite well, but if you can swing the 5400 or 7400, you won't have to worry about your next speaker upgrade affecting your amp:D

I Drove ML hybrids of all sizes with the Higher powered...

Carver Silver 9t monoblocks (circa 1,200 watts@2 ohms) and the Sunfire Signature Series I and II.
From that experience, I can tell you that big power definitely wins out.

I am currently using the Sunfire Signature Series II (small chassis) on the
CLS2z's and I thought it was sufficient until very recently when a a Pass Labs X350.5 proved me wrong! On paper, it has slightly less power than the Sunfire (1db), but seems faster to deliver the current to the panels.
The result was better bass and more resolute image.

ML's thrive on big power, no matter where they sit in the pecking order
YMMV.

Cheers,
Ray

No issues driving my Aerius i with the Syphonic Reference and the newer ML models have powered woofers (not the Vista, but the Vantage does). Thus, the task for the amplifier may be less taxing since they are not burdened with powering both the low and high frequencies.

Buy with confidence.

Erik

Carver Silver 9t monoblocks (circa 1,200 watts@2 ohms) and the Sunfire Signature Series I and II.
From that experience, I can tell you that big power definitely wins out.

I am currently using the Sunfire Signature Series II (small chassis) on the
CLS2z's and I thought it was sufficient until very recently when a a Pass Labs X350.5 proved me wrong! On paper, it has slightly less power than the Sunfire (1db), but seems faster to deliver the current to the panels.
The result was better bass and more resolute image.

ML's thrive on big power, no matter where they sit in the pecking order
YMMV.

Cheers,
Ray

I used to use a Sunfire Signature Series II with my CLS2z and I feel it is a totally different animal than a Pass...power is there but it is an amplifier that was designed with a "sound" in mind...tube like...smooth...fun with a lot of depth and lower dampening factor... more Conrad Johnson like...Pass is higher resolution( more in the Krell/Bryston camp)....just a thought.

Hi wallace, I have quite a different take on the Sunfire Series II (small chassis)...

I used to use a Sunfire Signature Series II with my CLS2z and I feel it is a totally different animal than a Pass...power is there but it is an amplifier that was designed with a "sound" in mind...tube like...smooth...fun with a lot of depth and lower dampening factor

There are actually two Sunfire Signature Series II amplifiers; the standard 19" and the "Architect Series" 17" chassis. They both had quite different sound. The 19" was less resolute, and a bit soft in character, more like an older CJ all-tube power amplifier.

The 17" chassis amplifier was a total re-design in terms of circuit layout and the benefits shone in spades. The amp was faster, sharper, highly transparent and in many ways, quite similar to the Pass X-series amplifier that I just evaluated. The notable differences between the two were the "gundry dip" voicing and low-end extension on the Sunfire when directly compared to the Pass.

It's a shame that Bob Carver did not differetiate the 17" chassis version more so, instead of calling it "The Architect Series", it was and is far superior to the garden variety Signature Series II.

As far as damping factor goes, since the CLS's are not dynamic speakers, I don't think that is a meaningful spec in this case. However, the Sunfires (and Carvers) all had high damping factors.

... more Conrad Johnson like...Pass is higher resolution( more in the Krell/Bryston camp)....just a thought.

IMHO, I would not put Krell nor Bryston anywhere near the same league as the Pass Labs in terms of sonic signature when driving full range electrostatic panels.

Cheers,
Ray

Why is EV1 avoiding his question like the plague?

Hey all,

I am starting to look at Sunfire amps for my HT system. The newer Sunfire TGAs vs. the older Grand Cinema Signature etc. Is the quality the same as the older units?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, I've no shame in my game so here's my .02!

NEW vs. OLD.

Build quality and parts OLD is much better, IMHO. I'm of course biased because the OLD stuff was built but 6 miles from me in Snohomish, WA. BC's been in my living room...it's no big thing, he gets around to visiting a lot of living rooms in this neck of the woods and loves talkin' anything audio, aside from crankin' up your system to decibel levels I've not heard since that summer of '69 when our neighborhood decided to attempt to recreate Woodstock west via our Sansui and Pioneer receivers ala AR speakers.

Some of their new HT preamps leaves options off that were standard on the old pre's, which was obviously a cost cutting measure, but I'm certain a tech could ascertain the actual parts quality of the new stuff. Personally, for the old vs. the new imported stuff from China I prefer the sound, appearance, of the old considering the only place you're goin' to hear a sonic difference is in the sound of your wallet closin'.

Okay, now that wasn't so bad wuz it?

Absolutely. If I could drive Vista's with both a 10wpc SET integrated, or a 35wpc PL tube amp, then no big daddy is needed for private performance consumption. Save both your ears and 'sum cashola.

IMHO, I would not put Krell nor Bryston anywhere near the same league as the Pass Labs in terms of sonic signature when driving full range electrostatic panels.

Cheers,
Ray

I had the 17" Sunfire and sold it for the Bryston 14BSSt...sorry I heard the Pass compared to the Bryston 28 monoblocks...I'll stick with the Canadian with the 20 year warranty:music:

Of Course...

I had the 17" Sunfire and sold it for the Bryston 14BSSt...sorry I heard the Pass compared to the Bryston 28 monoblocks...I'll stick with the Canadian with the 20 year warranty:music:

Once we start talking about amplification of this level and calibre, personal preferences and system synergy play a major role in our decisions.

I'm happy to hear that you achieved the sound you were after, with the Bryston. That level of satisfaction is hard to come by. I've been equally as satisfied Sunfire Signature Series II (small chassis) until the Pass came along...

If you're ever in South Florida, give me a shout.

This is a great hobby!

Cheers,
Ray

Thanks everyone for your input!! Much appreciated! I am now choosing between Cinema Grand Signature (17" 400x5) vs. TGA-5400. I know that my Denon receiver amp is no match for any Sunfire amps, but it already puts out at least 130 watts...so, i figure to go all out and get max wattage. :D

So, with that in mind, is my Denon "pre-amp" section good enough to maximize the Sunfire? Realworld specs: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/denon-avr-4306/avr-4306-measurements-and-analysis

And as an aside (even though i have made up my mind about separate amp), what do you guys think of the 4306 amplifier section based on above tests?? The review makes it sound like the 4306 is impressive, but what is your opinion based on the testing numbers? (Note: i have no idea what those numbers mean! Sorry in advance if this is kinda stupid to ask!)

Thanks in advance.

Just an update...i have put in the order for a brand new Sunfire TGA-7401 for $3500.02 + tax (total $3788.77) at a local Sunfire dealer...FREE delivery, setup, and supplies. Although i would think that the setup is easy, the guy offered it to me since he was close to my house...hey, he is more knowledgeable than me, so it is all good for me! :) He assured me that he will get me 3 high quality interconnects from AudioQuest for my two towers and center channel...my two surrounds will be regular cables.

It was the best deal that i found after calling multiple Sunfire dealers, including one out of state.

Although my system is 5.1, i went with 7-channel amp for "future proof" just in case i need the extra channels. There was one Sunfire TGA-5400 for sale on ebay (new in box!) for $2800 or so...i even spoke to the guy...nice guy! I decided on the new model simply because i know that it is new from Sunfire, not sitting somewhere under unknown conditions and not dropped accidentally. I guess the $1000 extra i am paying is for peace of mind more than anything.

Cheers,
Ray

Hold on there RAY. Krell has their sound as well as Bryston. What your saying If I understand you is that Pass has its own sound and is to your liking. I to like it but its just like any high end amp. It needs to be matched well and have great down stream help. I run Krell and run CLS with NOT ONE COMPLAINT. Many have heard and agree Krell done right is very good

Just an update...i have put in the order for a brand new Sunfire TGA-7401 for $3500.02 + tax (total $3788.77) at a local Sunfire dealer...FREE delivery, setup, and supplies.

Congratulations - Your going to love it. Nice to get some cables in the deal and a setup!

Just an update...i have put in the order for a brand new Sunfire TGA-7401 for $3500.02 + tax (total $3788.77) at a local Sunfire dealer...FREE delivery, setup, and supplies. Although i would think that the setup is easy, the guy offered it to me since he was close to my house...hey, he is more knowledgeable than me, so it is all good for me! :) He assured me that he will get me 3 high quality interconnects from AudioQuest for my two towers and center channel...my two surrounds will be regular cables.

It was the best deal that i found after calling multiple Sunfire dealers, including one out of state.

Although my system is 5.1, i went with 7-channel amp for "future proof" just in case i need the extra channels. There was one Sunfire TGA-5400 for sale on ebay (new in box!) for $2800 or so...i even spoke to the guy...nice guy! I decided on the new model simply because i know that it is new from Sunfire, not sitting somewhere under unknown conditions and not dropped accidentally. I guess the $1000 extra i am paying is for peace of mind more than anything.

You could also use the extra channels and bi amp the speakers.

Back