audio signal activated switch on

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidigi

Reaction score
Hi ML people!

after less than two years I start having problems with the panel of my Monoliths:sad: One has lost efficiency and I think that also the frequency responce is a little bit compromised. I notice quite often that the panels are dirty, lot of dust and also insects between the stator and the mylar...

I have the panels always energized, I'm thinking about a circuit that senses the audio signal and switches then on the HV bias on the panels.

Do you have any information about similar circuits? Is it mounted in some ML models?

Ciao

Paolo

Hi

you could always try extension cord with switch to AC-supply to your speakers. That way you can switch them off when not in use. There is even power strips with build in sensing circuitry for swithcing other outlets on when one outlet has active equipment. You can connect your amp to this control output socket and each time you switch it on it will automatically switch other outputs - the ones you can connect your speakers to. http://www.clasohlson.fi/Product/LargeImageViewer.aspx?Path=/Archive/Images/Products/Hi/36-3388_2010-07-07_161008_46.jpg

Hi ML people!

after less than two years I start having problems with the panel of my Monoliths:sad: One has lost efficiency and I think that also the frequency responce is a little bit compromised. I notice quite often that the panels are dirty, lot of dust and also insects between the stator and the mylar...

I have the panels always energized, I'm thinking about a circuit that senses the audio signal and switches then on the HV bias on the panels.

Do you have any information about similar circuits? Is it mounted in some ML models?

Ciao

Paolo

It is certainly mounted in some ML models - I believe every ML model manufactured since 1994 or later.

If your speaker is not equipped with that circuit, just turn them off at the wall when not in use.

I was told by JP years ago while talking to him about Sequels and the II version he stated,"just unplug them when not in use".;)

Seems to me like you should first worry about cleaning them before thinking about turning them off when not in use.

thanks!

Hi all,

thanks for the suggestions!

Seems to me like you should first worry about cleaning them before thinking about turning them off when not in use.

I have performed two vacuuming sessions:ROFL:, now the situation is better but on some wet days I still hear less sound from one panel. It's summer time here in Italy, windows open means also more dust in the living room...

Yes, unplugging them when not in use is the easiest solution! But.... when I switch on the system I have to switch on:

CD player (or turntable)
preamplfier
electronic crossover
panels amplifier
woofers amplifier
subwoofer amplifirer

If I add also that I have to plug the HV bias....
I'm designing also a mains filter with delayed turn on time for different sockets in order to push one button and let this tool perform the correct turn on sequence, but the speakers are on the other side of the room from the rest of the system, so and the mains cables would pass just in the middle (not particulary waf friendly).

Is there a chance to have the schematic of the original turn on circuit?

Thanks!

Ciao

Paolo

Hi,
you could also try remote (radio) controlled sockets to switch on your speakers, that way you dont need to do any modification to your ML and they only cost ~20€ set of 3...

Hi,
you could also try remote (radio) controlled sockets to switch on your speakers, that way you dont need to do any modification to your ML and they only cost ~20€ set of 3...

good idea, cheap and easy! But I still would have to teach to my wife and daughters how to switch on the system, I'm looking for something simple and "automatic".

Thanks,

Paolo

Simple for user annd automatic -> PS Audio Premier Power Plant

nice unit, I've been told the the EU version had some problems though...

...and it doesn't solve my problem: I'd like to connect the mains of the speaker to a near wall receptacle, with a sensing circuit that cuts off the HV from the panels when not in use.

No schematic available of a ML model that uses something similar?

Which models have this feature?

Thanks,

Ciao
Paolo

Back