Summit X Woofer Controls

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any advice on what to do with these dials (50Hz/25Hz)? (I can do the trial and error thing, but it would be nice to know what I am doing.)

You're increasing or decreasing the speakers output at those frequencies...

Unless you have access to some measurement equipment, it will be pretty much "trial and error".

Any advice on what to do with these dials (50Hz/25Hz)? (I can do the trial and error thing, but it would be nice to know what I am doing.)

Hola...as a starting point, put both controls at their top center position. Play your favorite music with bass and with the bass playing, first move the 50Hz to the left and listen for change in bass output. 50Hz is easier to listen first...the 25Hz knob, you will feel the deepest notes only, very deep, and you can adjust the levels to your bass liking. You are allow with those speakers to adjust your room frequency response, when you have one note bass...you can add or take off the bass energy at those particular frequencies...Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hi taba,

From my experience, the final settings on these two knobs are absolutely critical to optimize the Summit's performance.

I agree with Roberto that you should work first with the 50hz control but in my room, the two knob settings tend to track pretty close to each other. Both will interact with your room environment.

Once you've got the voices and mid bass tuned in, adjust the 25hz knob just slightly and determine if it's better or worse.

Bottom line is with everything else in your system dialed in, the final settings (0.1 db +/-) will be clearly audible.

Have fun.

GG

While "tuning" by ear can be done, if you're serious about truly optimizing your setup, it might be worthwhile to invest a few $$ in some measurement tools, to help you analyze your entire frequency response. Even an inexpensive Rat Shack sound meter can be useful, or you could go with the Room EQ Wizard and ancillary gear (http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/), or perhaps even one of the iPhone or Android frequency response apps. Personally, I use the XTZ Room Analyzer (http://www.xtz.se/uk), but you have to jump through some hoops to order it from Sweden. IMHO, tweaking the speaker/room response, and adding acoustic treatments as necessary, is well worth the time and effort, and in the end, quite cost effective.

Back