SL3 vs ReQuest

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy_K

Reaction score
New here. But this is not a introduce myself thread. I have been out of high end audio for several years. Back when I was into it. I went through several speakers. From Magnepan SMGA's to Apogee Diva's.

I am currently building a what I would call. Descent budget system over time.
Question is. I have read about the SL3's and the ReQuests. I have to buy used do to the whole budget thing.

Anyway, There is not that much difference used prices wise between the SL3's and the ReQuest's. But enough to ask if the Requests justify the extra money?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks, Randy

Last edited:
Hey Randy,
I went to reQuests after 16 years with Sequels (precursor to SL3, but same size). Panels on reQuests are much larger. HUGE difference in soundstage. Big difference in overall sound between the Sequels and reQuests. Bass was much tighter and seamless and the overall sound is much fuller.

Make sure your amp is up to the task of driving the reQuests. Like any of the older MLs, they are much more difficult to drive and the reQuests being so massive are even more of a challenge. Also make sure you have a big room and can give them room to breathe.

Good Luck!

Tom.

Tom, Thanks for the input. I did notice that the ReQuests have a larger panel and woofer. The woofer was one of my concerns as larger woofers can sound slow. My thoughts where that compared to the speed of the panel. This could cause a concern. But it sounds to me that you did not find that a problem.
I recently purchased a Counterpoint SA220 for power and a SA3000 preamp.
How do you, or anyone else think that will do on the ReQuests.
Thanks again, Randy

Tom, Thanks again for your input. I thought I would get more input form others here. But after more research. I think that the ReQuest's may be a struggle for the amp I currently have. And the SL3's may be the way to fly. Maybe a pair of the Counterpoint SA220's BiAmped and BiWired would work in the future.
Anyway. Just wanted to thank you again for your assistance.
Thanks again, Randy

Hi Randy,
kinda surprised that nobody else chimed in.. I'm not familiar with that amp, so I can't say... Let us all know how it works out.

Good Luck!

Tom.

New here. But this is not a introduce myself thread. I have been out of high end audio for several years. Back when I was into it. I went through several speakers. From Magnepan SMGA's to Apogee Diva's.

I am currently building a what I would call. Descent budget system over time.
Question is. I have read about the SL3's and the ReQuests. I have to buy used do to the whole budget thing.

Anyway, There is not that much difference used prices wise between the SL3's and the ReQuest's. But enough to ask if the Requests justify the extra money?

Thanks, Randy

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Hola Randy...I think that Tom just said it all, it is a big difference. The Request also had the honor at the Absolute Sound to say: The best mid range of the world!. Big stage and tons of air between instruments. Their sensitivity is better than the SL-3s so they will play a little bit louder using the same power. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks gentleman. Well it seems that this call gets tougher. The ReQuests really sound like the way to go. Still a little shaky on the amp with them.
Tom, It's a 200 watt per channel hybrid. Says it's good for 700 watts at 2 ohms I believe. And is OK down to an impedance of .7ohms.
Roberto, Thanks for echoing Tom's thoughts. That's two thumbs up.
It's going to be awhile before I can get the money together. So I have time to think about it. Just purchased a Oracle Delphi w/Rega 900 tonearm and a Benz ACE. So all my current audio funds are. Well gonzoed... But thanks again for your time and input. I really appreciate it.

Randy

I went down a similar path to Tom. Had original Sequel's for years, then got a pair of ReQuests. I drove the ReQuests with a Hafler DH-500, then a McCormack DNA-2, Rogue Audio M-120's and finally a BAT VK-6200. When I was auditioning amps I also drove them with a Levinson 334 and an Air Tight (can't remember the model but it only put out 60 wpc). Of all the amps I liked the Air Tight the best, but I just couldn't afford it at the time. Long story short, I'd bet that your Counterpoint would in fact be fine on the ReQuests.

To Roberto's point, the ReQuests do have a glorious midrange, and impressive dynamics as well. I loved mine for many a year. I did finally part with them because I wanted to get a pair of CLS's. I think the CLS's have even more magic in the midrange, and possibly a bigger and deeper soundstage, but they aren't as dynamic as the ReQuests. I suppose it depends on what kind of music you listen to.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the ReQuests without a doubt.

Tim, Thank you for chiming in as well. Alrighty then. I'm going to shoot for the ReQuests. Hopefully I'll be able to pick a pair up around Thanksgiving or so.
Thanks again guys. I'll let you know how it works out.
Randy

Latest posts

Back