One woofer not firing on Summit?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hocky

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the front firing woofers on the summit? I was listening tonight and noticed that something seemed off - I was thinking that maybe someone was playing with my 25/50 knobs or something. After checking them and finding them unchanged, it didn't take long for me to find that the right channel, front firing woofer was not working. The panel and downfire woofer were all working just fine. My first troubleshooting step was to unplug the speaker and plug it back in while the music was playing. As soon as I did that, both woofers were working perfectly normal again. Very odd. Something going on in the signal sense circuit, maybe? Has anyone had anything similar happen in the past? I will definitely be keeping my eye on it now - if I hear it happening again, I will be digging into it.

Has anyone had any issues with the front firing woofers on the summit? I was listening tonight and noticed that something seemed off - I was thinking that maybe someone was playing with my 25/50 knobs or something. After checking them and finding them unchanged, it didn't take long for me to find that the right channel, front firing woofer was not working. The panel and downfire woofer were all working just fine. My first troubleshooting step was to unplug the speaker and plug it back in while the music was playing. As soon as I did that, both woofers were working perfectly normal again. Very odd. Something going on in the signal sense circuit, maybe? Has anyone had anything similar happen in the past? I will definitely be keeping my eye on it now - if I hear it happening again, I will be digging into it.

I've had a somewhat similar problem with my Vantages. Sometimes the woofer in one of the speakers would not start, or the whole speaker would not wake up. Finally, the speaker would play every time it was asked too, but no woofer. All it was was the wire inside the box to the woofer, either the positive or negative wire had fallen off. My dealer used a bit of hot glue and problem solved. Speaker has always fired up ever since. Hope you find your problem soon. -Have you asked your dealer? That may be a good first step. Or call ML. They probably have some good advice on how to fix your problem.

Cheers

Could be... my circuit in there is quite saturated and the voltage rolls pretty hard if I do certain things. FWIW, I haven't heard the problem happen again - but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Hocky,

I've had my Summits since 1/06 and I listen alot.

FWIW, this has happened twice to me in 3 - 1/2 years. I simply flipped the breaker and everything was fine.

At this point, I'd monitor but not get too concerned.

GG

I've had a somewhat similar problem with my Vantages. Sometimes the woofer in one of the speakers would not start, or the whole speaker would not wake up. Finally, the speaker would play every time it was asked too, but no woofer. All it was was the wire inside the box to the woofer, either the positive or negative wire had fallen off. My dealer used a bit of hot glue and problem solved. Speaker has always fired up ever since. Hope you find your problem soon. -Have you asked your dealer? That may be a good first step. Or call ML. They probably have some good advice on how to fix your problem.

Cheers

I had a similar problem with one of my Summit bottom woofers... just a loose connector. However, if you ever end up taking the speaker apart to tighten the connections, be aware that the woofer power boards are NOT identical. Make sure you connect the correct speaker to the correct board, or else you'll end up with the woofers out of phase.

I had a similar problem with one of my Summit bottom woofers... just a loose connector. However, if you ever end up taking the speaker apart to tighten the connections, be aware that the woofer power boards are NOT identical. Make sure you connect the correct speaker to the correct board, or else you'll end up with the woofers out of phase.

Thanks for the heads up. In the end, my dealer just sent someone over and they actually used a little hot glue to hold the connector in place. Been fine ever since. I really love my Vantages. Best part of my system for sure. Surely would'nt mind some Summits, seems they can be had now for what the Vantages retailed for three/four years ago. My room may be a factor though. It is not large, being 13' X 21'. Maybe someday. Who knows. Dreaming is good.

13X21 IMHO is a medium sized room. The question is how far into the room can you get the Summits. A bigger room will help the Summits "sing" better, iff you can position them properly and the room is not cluttered.

13X21 IMHO is a medium sized room. The question is how far into the room can you get the Summits. A bigger room will help the Summits "sing" better, iff you can position them properly and the room is not cluttered.

Really only two feet or so. It'd be great to go another foot. But that's not very practical. I've got plenty of room from the side walls. But two foot or a bit more from the back wall is about all that works for the current layout. My listening position is only back about eight feet from the front of the speakers and is barely unequal length (7' between speakers).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back