CLSIIa vs IIz observation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pair of CLSIIa electronics that have been upgraded with new power sensing power supplies. I had purchased them for a project but never got around to listening to them in my system that currently has IIz electronics driving the panels.

It was interesting to hear the difference between the two versions. I am able to change the electronics easily as they just set behind the frames I built for my CLS panels. It is a matter of changing wires from one to the other in less than a minute.

I was surprised how much more low end they had along with the vocal and instruments being a bit more laid back with the IIA electronics. They sound very good just different than I was use to hearing.

In reviews I had read in the past they spoke about electronics changes ML had made to make the IIz easier to drive. It was mentioned that the 2 versions had different low end characteristics that would require changing their set up in the room to achieve a balanced low end.

Hopefully one of you can explain what changes in the crossovers and electronics might be responsible for this difference in sound.

When I purchased my IIz's they seemed harsh in the upper mids and highs but by working through equipment changes, cabling and position tweaking I have arrived at a sound I am very happy with.

Just another example of this not being a one size fits all when trying out new options for equipment.

I was a Martin Logan dealer for many years. I sold all the versions of the CLS speakers, (original I, II, IIA and IIZ). IMHO, the CLSIIA was always the best sounding version. Don't know why, but they sounded more "right" to me.

Back