CLS panel repair

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pair of CLS panels that play fine but one of them is starting to have the foam tape separate at the top and bottom.

To pull the sators back together I am thinking of drilling through both panels and using some small nylon bolts to hold them together in their original position.

The copper strip that is connected to the Mylar is about 3/4" from the top and bottom so there's plenty of space to drill without disturbing or damaging it.

Do any of you see a problem with this approach or have another suggestion?

The first set of CLS's I purchased came with orange handle spring clamps to keep them together. It was functional but I am looking for something a bit less distracting as I plan on pairing them with some electronics, frames and selling them.

McMaster-Carr is an excellent supplier of industrial hardware and materials. see what's in their catalog online. you don't have to have a large order either.
PS: have you considered a small section of channel bridging the two faces, filled with epoxy and clamped until set?

Thanks for the suggestion Beakman.

The other thought I had that is similar to yours is to take channel and drill and thread a hole on one leg. I could then put a screw through that and use it as a clamp with the screw on the back side. They would then be easily removable if needed and leave no evidence behind.

At $1600 a set Im not able to pull the string now. The economic crunch has me by the short and curly's . I hope to have a new set soon. Mine are down in DB and buzzing.

[FONT=&quot]Drilling a hole through the panel is a bad idea. Stators are carefully insulated for a very good reason---high voltage passes through them. Drilling a hole through the stator and inserting a nylon bolt will still expose the metal and make the panel very likely to arc, spark, and smoke (and effect the equipment attached to them---who knows???)
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Drilling a hole through the panel is a bad idea. Stators are carefully insulated for a very good reason---high voltage passes through them. Drilling a hole through the stator and inserting a nylon bolt will still expose the metal and make the panel very likely to arc, spark, and smoke (and effect the equipment attached to them---who knows???)
[/FONT]

Tom is right!...use the same 3M material to, as ML did. You might get it at any ware house. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Back