System #358 (CLX, Stage, Motif)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron

Reaction score
Ron Stavis
W. Los Angeles CA.
CLX, Stage, Motif
Purchased 2010
No Mods

I have always loved the sound of the Martin Logan. Started with the Vantages. I had them for about 1 1/2 years. Then I heard the Summits, and loved the sound of them even more. The base and sound stage was superior to the Vantage for my size of room. Once I heard the CLX's, I new I had to have them. It was a big expense for me, but what the heck, you only have one life to live.

Electronics

McIntosh MX150 room perfect processor
McIntosh MC402 amp
McIntosh MC205 amp
McIntosh MCD500 SACD player
Denon 3800bdci Blue Ray player
Parasound Ztuner v.2
JL Audio Fathom 113 Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 82837
Direct tv high def dvr
Richard Gray line condition and surge protection
Furman line condition and surge protection
2 dedicated 20 amp non arching circuit breakers
whole house surge protection at electrical panel

Room treatments front and back wall
Bello theater seating

Attachments

• McIntoshMX150MartinLoganCLXAnnivers (Medium).jpg
    McIntoshMX150MartinLoganCLXAnnivers (Medium).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 2,179
Last edited:
Last edited:
Welcome to the CLX party!

I see you have a 5.1 setup, do you listen to 5.1 music sources?

If so, there are some great threads here about material, tweaks and upgrades. Check out the CLX bass tweak.

I got the CLX bug in August of 08 and that is after having the ML disease since the 80s. Now I am listening to CLXs both in front and the rear. The goal is to have a CLX center and then I am done.

Now that you have CLX in the front, you will need to get CLX for the rear channels.......you just need to realize that resistance is futile.:D:D

I got the CLX bug in August of 08 and that is after having the ML disease since the 80s. Now I am listening to CLXs both in front and the rear. The goal is to have a CLX center and then I am done.
So do you plan to get a left CLX or a right CLX for the centre? Or a pair for the centre? And how do you orient the rear pair?

Welcome to the CLX party!

I see you have a 5.1 setup, do you listen to 5.1 music sources?

If so, there are some great threads here about material, tweaks and upgrades. Check out the CLX bass tweak.

Now that you have CLX in the front, you will need to get CLX for the rear channels.......you just need to realize that resistance is futile.:D:D

I enjoy 2 channel music with the CLX in conjuction with the JL 113. For my taste it sounds very pure. It fills the whole area with beautiful music. Home theater is a different story. CLX's would not work in my area. My sub is behind the seating area. No more money to be spent on audio equipment for a while. No more space in the cabinet. The Motifs for the surround channels are dialed in perfectly. The MX150 does a great job for getting things right.

Ron,

Sure you say that now. I used to say those kind of things.....then I upgraded the two rear channels from Sources, to Vistas, to Summits and finally to CLXs.......I just couldn't help myself, CLXs will do that.

And I too thought that the rear speakers were dialed in, each time.....then I heard the system with CLXs in the rear and WOW, I didn't have things dialed in as well as I thought.:D

Trust me, when you have CLXs in the front, the only thing that will satisfy you is CLXs in the rear. Boy that sounds bad doesn't it.:D

Anyway, that is, unless you don't listen to discrete 5.1 channel music, then your right it doesn't matter, HT is just effects anyway and it is not worth the effort.

But and it is a big but, if you listen to one of Steve Wilson's efforts in discrete 5.1 source material, either DVD Audio or SACD.........well it is hard to describe....but it is kind of like a E-ticket at Disney, you strap yourself in to the sweet spot and hold on for the ride. It is definitely not for the faint of heart or ear:D

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the JL Gotham, along with the CLXs, well it gives the ride that certain, kick in the pants, but I digress...............:devil:

So do you plan to get a left CLX or a right CLX for the centre? Or a pair for the centre? And how do you orient the rear pair?

Right now the plan is for Jonfo and I to find a used pair and split them up.

It is only a matter of time........and a little money.:D

Ron,

Sure you say that now. I used to say those kind of things.....then I upgraded the two rear channels from Sources, to Vistas, to Summits and finally to CLXs.......I just couldn't help myself, CLXs will do that.

And I too thought that the rear speakers were dialed in, each time.....then I heard the system with CLXs in the rear and WOW, I didn't have things dialed in as well as I thought.:D

Trust me, when you have CLXs in the front, the only thing that will satisfy you is CLXs in the rear. Boy that sounds bad doesn't it.:D

Anyway, that is, unless you don't listen to discrete 5.1 channel music, then your right it doesn't matter, HT is just effects anyway and it is not worth the effort.

But and it is a big but, if you listen to one of Steve Wilson's efforts in discrete 5.1 source material, either DVD Audio or SACD.........well it is hard to describe....but it is kind of like a E-ticket at Disney, you strap yourself in to the sweet spot and hold on for the ride. It is definitely not for the faint of heart or ear:D

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the JL Gotham, along with the CLXs, well it gives the ride that certain, kick in the pants, but I digress...............:devil:

I only have 4 feet between the home theater seating and the back wall. I know that would be a bad idea to purchase another pair of CLX's. No room for it. It would also ruin the look of the room. I would never be able to find a matching pair either. That was custom made to match the McIntosh equipment. I have the Dark Side of the Moon SACD disk. I use to play it on my McIntosh 871 dvd player. It was unique in 5.1. I no longer have the 871, so that disc will not play on the Blu Ray Player. Still sounds great on the MCD 500. The MCD500 is like removing a blanket from my speakers compared to the McIntosh 871 dvd player. It will play SACD 2 channel, but not 5.1. I always liked my music in front of me just like going to a concert. Movies is a different story. My motif's work very well. What I hear in my own home sounds better than movie theaters.

Sorry to hear that you are going to have to tear out your back wall.........but you know it will be worth it. :D

Or..... maybe you can take over a new room. That is what I did. I had a 7.2 ML HT in the main room and I was listening to so much surround sound music that my wife gave me an ultimatum.

So I took over the game room downstairs and built a perfect 5.1 CLX system down there.

My point is, there is a silver lining to every cloud, you just have to find it before the lightning strikes you dead.:D

PS. Just enjoy your CLXs in whatever config you like. I have found them to be the most FUN speakers that I have ever owned or even rented.:D

Back