using the clx with two decent i subs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggrell3000

Reaction score
using the clx with two descent i subs

dear forum

i am presently running my clx directly from my amplifier . i am feeding a signal to my amp from my preamp . i am also simultaneously feeding a signal from my preamp to my two descent i subwoofers ( one left and one right ) . i don't even know if my descent i subwoofers are equipped with the proprietary clx crossover . the whole system is brand new . and it sounds fine wired just as it is . but how do i find the special clx / descent i crossover ( if it is in the descent i at all ) and is there a real sonic advantage to using the proprietary crossover to begin with . some people say the less crossovers in the signal chain the better but obviously the martin logan designers would not have manufactured the special clx / descent i crossover if they did not think it added some sonic benefit . is it better to route the signal from my preamp to the descent i subs then out to the power amp then into the clx ? has anyone experimented with both methods and formed an opinion that they would care to share ? thank you .

Last edited:
Do your Descent's have a "CLX ready" sticker on them? If not, call ML in the morning and give them your serial number...

If you don't have the CLX crossovers you might not get a perfect, seamless match up with the speakers, but you can get pretty close. And you may even like it better.

thank you tonepub . i think my descent i subs do have the clx crossover after all . i have not confirmed this with ml tech - but i intend to . have you attempted to run your clx's directly instead of feeding them a signal from the output of the descent i subs ? i wonder if feeding simultaneous but separate signals to the clx apart from the descent i subs has any sonic benefit . any opinions ? thank you . please read my other thread about amplifier power requirements for the clx . thanks .

I run one set of interconnects to the CLX's full range and one to the Descent's (back when I had Descents). That will give you the best results.

thank you tonepub

thank you tonepub for your hookup suggestion . do you still use a pair of clx's ? if you still own or listen to the clx on a regular basis what subwoofers ( if any ) do you use with the clx ? is there a subwoofer that you prefer over the descent i for use with the clx ? are two subs normally better than one with the clx or is such a setup overkill ? ( my listening room is rather large . ) thanks for the information .

Back