New to these speakers so a few questions if you don't mind ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wickfut

Reaction score
Hi

I got a pair of Aerius i's a few days ago and I'm quite happy with them, but I have a few questions..

What would you class as the panels being "dirty". I've read posts where people have removed the panels to shower them. Mine have small dark dots where the holes are in the grills, nothing really bad. Would I get much of an improvement by showering the dirt dots off ?

For when the upgrade bug hits (which will happen, usually sooner rather than later) My room is 3x4m. What would be the biggest size panel you would put in that size room ? Would SL3 be overkill ?

Would my Classé CA201 (200wpc 8ohm/400wpc 4ohm) power amp drive larger panels ok ?

Does ML make the replacement panels to order or is there a limited stock that I'd need to order from before they run out ?

Cheers

Marc

Hi Mark,

My room is roughly the same size as yours, it's 12x20 feet. I previously had Aerius i's , a very good speaker. I then upgraded to Odyssey's which sound great in my room, it's a dedicated room just for the stereo.

Although , I enjoyed the Aerius i's, the Odyssey was well worth the upgrade. Bigger soundstage,glourious fuller midrange, fuller bass, etc.I think you wouldn't have any problem at all going for a bigger set of Logans and suggest something newer than the SL3, since it is just 1 step up from the Aerius. You can get Ascents for instance at great prices off of audiogon.You could go for a set of Vantages, but there are many on this site who prefer logans without the built in amps for the woofers.

I can't help you on the showering of panels as I have never done that.The panels are made on a per order basis, so you could order a set anytime.

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Every panel that I've seen more than a few years old has those dark dots on it between the stators holes... I wouldn't worry about it too much if they sound good. Vacuum them and listen.

Greg, your room is actually twice the size of Marc's; 3x4m is about 10ftx13ft.

I have used SL3's in a 12x16 room, and it was a bit of a squeeze.

Don't worry about spots on the panels. Rather - worry about the sound. Give them a good vacuum (and do it every few weeks) and if you're happy with the sound then you don't need to worry. You can check the age of the panels with their serial number and the serial number decoder on this website.

The shower is an absolute last resort.

Cheers. I've checked the age of the panels and they're Jan/2001.

Does anyone know if the replacement panels are in short supply or not?

No, all we've been told is that sometime, in the future, Martin Logan may/will not support some of the older models, by having replacement panels for them. To my knowledge, that day has not yet arrived.

Cheers. I've checked the age of the panels and they're Jan/2001.

Panels for legacy models now take 6-8 weeks for delivery. Ceck with ML.

Back