Anyone for some toe-in?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groovyslick

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am nearing the end of a major change to my system<photos comming soon> but what I could really use is another set of trained ears to help me dial in the perfect location for my ascents to sit! The wife could careless and all my buddies already think I am obsessed!:confused:

So if anyone is willing to help a brother out I will supply all the beer/wine and food required to complete the bribe! And if you are willing to come from outta town I will throw in deluxe accomodations here at Casa Moeller!

I could use the help of experienced folks here.. I am a learn by doing guy..not so much a learn by reading guy.

so let me know if you are willing to head to the dallas area or are already here to help me get it dialed in.

thanks!! :bowdown:

Hello,
Since many of us are not in your area, I will just say toe in is generally done by all. Give at least 3 feet from the Back Wall and give a good look at the Owner's Manual.

ML Owner's Manuals truly provide a wealth of information as to how best setup the Speakers. You really do have a nice Model. I would sit down in your Listening Room using the guidelines in the Manual and have your Friends or Family Member fine tune the toe in until you are happy with it.
Cheers,
JJ

Do a search on the flashlight technique, and it should get you into the right neighborhood...

There may even be a youtube video on it.

I did the flashlight setup..but not the room setup. guess I will work it out...

The manual has a very good section about speaker set up. There is a formula included for placement given your room dimensions. Afterward the flashlight approach is good.

Please keep in mind that these are only guidelines.

The ML Flashlight technique works, but there are 2 approaches

you can take with your set-up.

You can set your system up for a single-listener-nearfield-approach with lots of toe-in, or you can go with the more conventional ML set-up calculation, which works well also.

You get great results either way.

I got it all done.. amazing how much difference it makes once it is dialed in!.. now I need to work on a bass trap!

Another thing to check, if you haven't already addressed this is to try and get the rake angle as similar as you can with both speakers. The CLX seems to be more sensitive to this than other ML's, but it does help on every model, the closer you can get them to the same value.

The easiest way I've found to do it is to use a level and mark the edge of the bubble with a sharpie or use a piece of masking tape and then adjust the other speaker to match..

Good for a little more imaging depth, but worth the 15 min...

done! it was all done on sat with a hifi buddy. we voiced the room, set the toe in, rake and level. see my system for the update.

done! it was all done on sat with a hifi buddy. we voiced the room, set the toe in, rake and level. see my system for the update.

Congrats. ESL are very tricky to get right. I had one speaker a mere 2" recessed and it made a huge difference in imaging and soundstage. I've also had to change the toe-in of just one speaker just to get it right. In the end it took hours of trial and error but once you get it dialed in you're in musical heaven! :music:

What is the bolded above? Thanks for enlightening me.

I have experimented with toe in for a while now. I use a flashlight to get it close and then use a tape measure to get each speaker just right. Currently I'm toed in about 3.5" with my Vantages. I started at about an inch and kept working until the sound was not only wide but that the image was focused. Too little toe in left two seperate images and was not pleasing. I may eventually try 4" of toe in. I'm happy for now.

Also, I did the vertical mod. I had to remove the adjusters to get the panel to go to 90*. That in itself is a nice, free mod. Wouldn't go back for sure. You get a louder and more pristine sound (I'm no audio writer/reviewer, so not the best at describing the result). Anyway, I do plan to buy some longer spikes so I can get the speaker up off the carpet. It does touch somewhat now in the front cause the stock spikes are too short. I'm tired of tweeking and just want to listen.

Glad your having sucess and fun!

Back