Hi

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wickfut

Reaction score
Hello

I've just done a trade for a pair of Aerius i (I give the bloke my Helicon 400s) which I was a bit dubious about at first...

So, I've just spent the day adjusting their position and ... wow! I'm a convert.

Other kit I'm using is Classé Audio CA201 power amp , Pass Labs X2 pre and Xindak DAC 8 being fed by Foobar2000 from my PC.

Anyway, it's nice to have found this place.

Marc

Welcome Marc ! Congrats on the Aries i !

So Wickfut ventures outside of the Wam and into ML land...:)

Enjoy the Aerius. I used to have a pair. You should have bought the Ascents I put on ebay/the Wam. They went for nowt, really, had newish panels, were in as new condition, and are quite a bit better than the Aerius. Oh well.. opportunities missed!:)

ha ha , hiya

yeah I tend to get about when I'm doing not alot.

I didn't buy the Aeries, I probably never would have looked at a pair apart from Dazz from wigwam got hold of me and asked to swap for my Dalis.

I'm quite glad I did though. I'd never heard a pair of panel type speakers before so this type of sound is a bit mind bending.
I've just been fiddling a bit with moving my room about and I've got the room walls to vanish.. they have an impressive soundstage to them.
I can't see myself going back to normal speakers after this now.

Does a Quad 909 drive these speakers ok ?

I think my Classé amp is about to die on me and i'll need a replacement quite quick, I'm looking at the ex-demo 909 for £700 or the Primare A32 on ebay at the moment.

Any ideas ?

Cheap option: Behringer A500 new for £160 odd. Better than you would believe - a lot better. 200 odd Watts into 4 Ohms.

Better option: 2nd hand Lumley ST70 - 70 Watts of 6550/KT88 power which works really well with the panels - provided they aren't knackered. I'd hesistate with less than 70 Watts of tube power on the Aerius - I used 50 Watts for a long time, and it wasn't really enough. Very good within reasonable volume levels, though. You can see that amp on my system pages - the Bill Beard.

So basically get a tube amp with 70+ Watts than can hack low impedance speakers or a good strong current doubling solid state one. The Behringer will amaze you for the money - but you can better it. A great option would be an old AVI Laboratory Series for about £600-700 on ebay. That amp was amazing driving M&D Sapphires at a recent bake off. So much so, Jerry (JANDL100) bought one, and I don't blame him. 340 Watts into 4 Ohms if I remember correctly.

Like anyone else, you just have to play until you find something you like.

Last edited:
I think my Classé amp is about to die on me and i'll need a replacement quite quick, I'm looking at the ex-demo 909 for £700 or the Primare A32 on ebay at the moment.

Any ideas ?

Why?

I hated the sound of the Quad 909, but you might differ.

Back