1 Amp to Monoblocks-Differences??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOON

Reaction score
I would like to hear from members that went from one amp driving their logans that went to a monoblock setup. What specific differences in sound did you notice? Also, what was the wattage increase involved?

Thanks, Greg

not sure but I went the reverse...tried a pair of Bryston 7BSST and then their 14BSST...same sonics IMO from my CLSZ2s...so I bought the 14...may just be this company?

No real difference except for...

a reduction in expense for good speaker cables.

For years, I ran my first 3 sets of ML's with a pair of Carver silver 9t monoblocks virtually "docked" to the bind posts with just Cardas Golden Cross jumper cables. They were 1200 watts 2ohms / 600 watt 4 ohm.

Then I switched to Bob Carver's Sunfire Signature Stereo amps. I had to increas my wire length to 6 feet, but otherwise a noteworthy improvement., because the amp is better. 1200 wpc 4 ohm / 2000 wpc 2 ohm.

Amps that are truly capable of handling the load of an ML electrostatic are still few and far between. there is no need to limit yourself with a monblock vs. stereo arguement, IMHO.

Cheers,
Ray

I would like to hear from members that went from one amp driving their logans that went to a monoblock setup. What specific differences in sound did you notice? Also, what was the wattage increase involved?

Thanks, Greg

Greg, I went from a Copland 50watt/ch tube amp to ARC tube monoblocks @ 110 watts. More bass was obvious immediately, and everything else up an down the spectrum was better - heard new instrumental lines I had missed before, female vocals (which I love) were clearer, etc.

It was a definite positive move. The results of any subsequent changes were easily audible (better interconnects, CDP, etc).

BTW I am waiting for you to post in your system threads impressions of the results obtained with the ASC Tube Traps you recently got.

1 amp to monoblocks

Thanks, Greg

I went from a Pass X350.5 to a pair of XA-100.5 monoblocks. While the single amp had greater rate power, it exited Class A at 40 watts. The major gain was in imaging and a more natural less analytic sound presentation. I think it is somewhat of a crap shoot when you change brands. I noticed this when I had a pair Bel Canto REF 500 mkIIs. Monoblocks but Class D with very different sound presentation.

Thanks for the responses.Hi Bernard. I will have to get pictures posted in that thread I started. The tube traps are 16 inches round x 78 inches tall, so it's almost like having 2 standard traps double stacked in each corner.

The first thing I noticed was how much more silent the room was with the traps in with no music playing.With music, it is more effortless, there is better articulation troughout,from low level detail up into the highs. You definately pick up more low level detail than before and little nuaunces that previously were skewed even though I did have some corner treatments.

The bass has firmed up. Say when a drum is hit, it is taughter, more impact, cleaner, clearer than before.It is as if the room has been taken out of the equasion.I previously had 1/4 round ASC 5 foot high traps in the corners behind my Odyssey's and Micheal Green room tunes in the back 2 corners. The set of 4 traps has been a remarkable improvement over that by a long shot.

Over all , I would have to say it was one of, if not the most important upgrade.The ASC traps are expensive, but wort every penny. In the future I am considering some GIK D1 diffusers to go across the space between the Odyssey's .

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Can I help with any camera problems you might be having? :p

I don't own a digital camera. I will have my brother bring his camera over to take the new shots of the room.

Cheers, Greg

Make sure in your comparisons you are looking at apples to apples. If you have a 50 wpc 2 channel amp and you want mono blocks, then two 50 wpc mono block amps would be basically the same if say, they were the same specs and quality as long as the original amp had two power supplies, basically two mono amps in the same chasis. If, however, your original amp had a single power supply, then if it is not up to snuff, there would be a differnence in sound quality using the mono amps. If you go with 100 watt mono amps and they are of the same or better quality than your stereo amp, then obviously you would hear a difference in sound quality. An example would be (and forget for a moment the differences between tube and ss amps for this example). I have two Audio Research VTM 120 Mono amps rated at 110 Watts each powering my upper panels on my Monolith IIIX speakers with active crossover, and a Mark Levinson ML3 amp powering the bass drivers. Great sound. The VTM 120s don't have to work as hard. However, I recently purchased a Mark Levinson 23.5 amp powering the upper panels after adjusting my crossover settings. Wow!!!! the 23.5 is absolutely wonderful as I remembered it. However, this is apples to oranges as the VTMs are 110 WPC and the 23.5 is 250 WPC stereo amp. However, it is basically a dual mono design and is very well designed. Discounting for a moment the tube/ss issue, the 23.5 is a much better amp.

enjoy

Make sure in your comparisons you are looking at apples to apples. If you have a 50 wpc 2 channel amp and you want mono blocks, then two 50 wpc mono block amps would be basically the same if say, they were the same specs and quality as long as the original amp had two power supplies, basically two mono amps in the same chasis. If, however, your original amp had a single power supply, then if it is not up to snuff, there would be a differnence in sound quality using the mono amps. If you go with 100 watt mono amps and they are of the same or better quality than your stereo amp, then obviously you would hear a difference in sound quality. An example would be (and forget for a moment the differences between tube and ss amps for this example). I have two Audio Research VTM 120 Mono amps rated at 110 Watts each powering my upper panels on my Monolith IIIX speakers with active crossover, and a Mark Levinson ML3 amp powering the bass drivers. Great sound. The VTM 120s don't have to work as hard. However, I recently purchased a Mark Levinson 23.5 amp powering the upper panels after adjusting my crossover settings. Wow!!!! the 23.5 is absolutely wonderful as I remembered it. However, this is apples to oranges as the VTMs are 110 WPC and the 23.5 is 250 WPC stereo amp. However, it is basically a dual mono design and is very well designed. Discounting for a moment the tube/ss issue, the 23.5 is a much better amp.

enjoy

Well, using this criteria in a fairly strict sense would, it seems, pretty well make it nigh impossible to do a "fair" comparison, would it not?

I would say so, because there really aren't any mfrs that make the identical amp as a stereo amp and as monoblocks. Usually, when they have the option to stretch out on a pair of chassis, it means upgraded power supplies, etc etc. and that is part of the reason the dedicated monos have more grunt. Some amps can be used as stereo or mono blocks and that may give you more of an indication.

I say just find an amp that sounds to your taste with your speakers and don't worry about the configuration....

I am sure there are some engineering benefits to channel separation, etc. However, most companies use monoblocks as a marketing tool. Depending on the speaker load, one amp is good enough, if you like its sound.

2 is better than 1. But it is especially better if you give the monoblocks more power, use better parts, etc.

You also come across more serious in the audiophile community if you have 2 amps driving the speakers rather than 1. More people will put weight on your posts and will take you advice than if you have a single lowly stereo amp.

I feel deeply deprived with my Pass 250.5.

Given the fact that you have two amps, your stature in audiophile cyber space has been obviously elevated.

Last edited:
Agree with the consensus - 2 is NOT necessarily better than 1, depends on many variables, power supply quality/separation in dual channel amps, current capability (more important than just watts), do you like tubes vs solid state, what is the load (speakers), etc.

And I do not put any credence into the statement that, "You come across more serious in the audiophile community" and "People will put more weight in your post" if you have 2 amps - please, gimme a break.

Talk intelligently and use your ears - period!:music:

Given the fact that you have two amps, your stature in audiophile cyber space has been obviously elevated.

Actually, I have 4 now, with all of the amps I have been hoarding. Cumulatively, around 2,000 watts per channel into 4 ohms! I feel REALLY high and mighty!!

But the real reason I bought them is so I can impress an occasional reader on the internet who comes across my post and could care less whether I live or die.

(That is a joke also - I guess I will have to annotate my posts from now on)

Sorry bout that - did not pick up on the humor.... :confused:

No worries - that is one of the biggest problem with this communication medium. I knew I was going to be following up to my message...

Talking about stereo amps, there CJ Premier 350 is available on audiogon for "only" $4200. It will blow 99% of the monoblocks out there - tube or SS. At than price, one can always buy and re-sell if it's not up to one's taste.

No worries - that is one of the biggest problem with this communication medium. I knew I was going to be following up to my message...

Talking about stereo amps, there CJ Premier 350 is available on audiogon for "only" $4200. It will blow 99% of the monoblocks out there - tube or SS. At than price, one can always buy and re-sell if it's not up to one's taste.

What's happening here? I thought you were now a tube guy!

Don't blame the medium. Folks who responded spoke with one voice.

If you are unable to communicate in an appropriate manner, people will react accordingly. That's the way it works, at least on this website.

PS: Based on your comment that the CJ Premier 350 will blow out 99% of the monoblocks out there - tube or SS, I assume that you've auditioned 99% of the monoblocks out there, tube or SS. Correct?

Last edited:
Back