surround setup?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
I have a complete 7.1 Logan setup and i am using the scripts for the side surrounds, what is the correct way to have them facing? Should they face the seating area or have them turned so the are like dipoles with the front facing the front of the room.

I have had a 7.2 ML system with Stylos for about 13 years and all the Stylos are facing the seating. Most of the side or effect channels benefit from directed sound, so face the speaker straight at the seating area.

Jonfo, anything to add?

I had a pair of Stylos' for a time and they were facing the seats.

The question you asked has been debated for years now. There are a number of manufacturers that have similar dipole speakers. I would suggest seeing which you prefer in your room. If you are interested in hearing what the experts say, I suggest doing the research. I think there was lots of articles written about 10 years or so ago (being at retirement age my memory is not what it was :ROFL:)

The answer is very simple. They should face whichever way sounds best to you in your room after auditioning with a variety of material. No one else can give you any "rule of thumb" that will trump what you can hear with your own ears.

The answer is very simple. They should face whichever way sounds best to you in your room after auditioning with a variety of material. No one else can give you any "rule of thumb" that will trump what you can hear with your own ears.

Yes, but sometimes advice and a bit of research can help. Understanding the "why" is important (IMHO)

Yes, but sometimes advice and a bit of research can help. Understanding the "why" is important (IMHO)

Absolutely agree in a general sense, Robert. But it has been my experience that when placing ML panel speakers in side surround duty, that room acoustics and subjective personal tastes tend to trump the "standard rules" as to whether they should face forward or sideways.

Back