Just got monoblock amps for my Summits... setup question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
The amps are Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks. Is it demonstrably superior to run long balanced interconnects to the amps and locate them directly beside the summits and keep the speaker cables as short as possible? Or just run short interconnects to the amps and long speaker cables? The long run will be around 23 feet or so, either interconnect or speaker cable.

Right now I have a receiver (Denon avr 5308) without balanced outputs, so I cant do the long balanced connection, yet. But I was planning on upgrading to a Denon or Integra preamp with those balanced connections if that is superior.

Thoughts?

The usual concensus (and I concur) is that longer interconnects with shorter speaker cables is the lesser of two evils. I have my system set up that way: longish (6m) interconnect between my preamp and monoblocks, and 2m speaker cables.

The amps are Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks. Is it demonstrably superior to run long balanced interconnects to the amps and locate them directly beside the summits and keep the speaker cables as short as possible? Or just run short interconnects to the amps and long speaker cables? The long run will be around 23 feet or so, either interconnect or speaker cable.

Right now I have a receiver (Denon avr 5308) without balanced outputs, so I cant do the long balanced connection, yet. But I was planning on upgrading to a Denon or Integra preamp with those balanced connections if that is superior.

Thoughts?

There are several variables in need of consideration, none the least is cost. Decent quality speaker cables are flat out going to cost you less that comparable quality ICs. ( contact me for what I use on my summits)

Second, the longer a run at low voltage, the more the possibility of acquiring noise, even in a fully balanced system. Third, the loss in power over 23 feet of speaker wire is not significant, where as the attenuation of signal strength over 23 feet of ICs CAN be. Add to that the fact that power loss in most speaker cables at your lenghts is linear as to frequency in the audible band, but not all ICs are insensitive, frequency wise, to lenght.

Most, but not all, balanced outputs are 6-10db higher than their single ended counterparts because balanced outputs customarily are used for longer runs and experience more loss, something to check on when you purchse. I know my Integra DTC 9.8 single ended and XLR outputs are identical, partly because the 9.8 is not a truely balanced device and secondarily because the manufacturer did that intentionally to allow the use of mix and match SE & XLR amps.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the replys. I was planning to buy 8m balanced cables from Emotiva, and they arent very expensive, so if they are OK I would go with that. But sounds like from what you are saying I may do just as well to run long speaker cables (would probably also get Emotiva cables for that too)

It's probably going to be more expensive to run long speaker cables. Especially if you are going balanced, start there first as it will probably be a lot easier to run long interconnects as well...

Back