Please help me choose Center/Rears for my ML Prefaces

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtvium

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm taking baby steps into lower end of the the premium audio space with Martin Logan. After much going back and forth between Martin Logan Prefaces and Motion 12s, I have decided to go with Prefaces. Just did not feel Motion 12 ($1500 a pair) offered that much more, if anything at all, than the Preface ($900 a pair). If I have missed something on Motion 12s, would love to hear their advocates speak up now as I am going to place the order in a day or two!

I already have Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 sub. The whole system is being powered by Onkyo NR-3007 (I really hope this will deliver enough power to drive all of my 4 ohms ML speakers, especially as I upgrade to a 7.2 system in the future)

Question: I guess I need to to stick with Martin Logan for my Center and rears to match the timbre. I just don't know where to start and would really appreciate some advice on what to buy to match optimally with the Preface fronts. A Preface center is not an option due to wife veto. Encore is on sale for $199 but am not sure if it would do a good job as a Center.

Thanks!

PS: This would be a multi-channel system. I realize I will have to make compromises as I listen to music as much as watch lots and lots of movies. Hard to get "best" of everything...

Last edited:
I am NOT very knowledgeable about the ATF series.

Will you be using four Prefaces? If so, the Encore is also an ATF series speaker using the same technology so it may be your best bet for compatibility.

Will you have the opportunity to audition them?

I use Encores with my Sources as side and rear. When I used one for the center as well I was pleased - but as always, wanted more and moved to the 'Feature' to have a more closely matched timbre. However, having said that, for the Preface timbre - the Encorce is a very cost effective ($199), and well matched speaker and one that I would higly recommend.

Right now the plan (and budget) is to use Prefaces just as the front. I think the local Fry's has Encore in stock so I can bring it home and audition it. If not, auditioning would be a problem unless I order from Amazon or AA and am willing to go through the hassle of shipping them if they are not for me.

Perhaps Encore for now and potentially upgrading it to something more expensive down the road or as prices drop. But the question is what would then that something be - just want to make sure I have a decent upgrade path available.

I love my Prefaces, they are the perfect blended middle ground between the slam of boxed drivers and the airy surreal high to mids of what makes stats so wonderful, you wont be disappointed. Mine are in a 2 channel only kit, so Im no help in the multi-channel arena unfortunately.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hello,
I would go with either the Encore or Vignette. Both use the same ATF Driver as is used in your Prefaces. It really is important to use as similar an Center Channel as possible for the best HT experience.

I also think you made the right call going with the Prefaces over the Motion Series. The Prefaces offer heavier Cabinet that is not made of Plastic and I prefer the ATF Driver over the Folded Motion Tweeter in the Motion 12.
Cheers,
JJ

Hello,
I would go with either the Encore or Vignette. Both use the same ATF Driver as is used in your Prefaces. It really is important to use as similar an Center Channel as possible for the best HT experience.

I also think you made the right call going with the Prefaces over the Motion Series. The Prefaces offer heavier Cabinet that is not made of Plastic and I prefer the ATF Driver over the Folded Motion Tweeter in the Motion 12.
Cheers,
JJ

Do you think that max 100W rated Encore will have enough oomph to run along with Prefaces that are rated for max 200W? I don't foresee too loud volumes for HT experience, so my guess is that it should be. But still want a sanity check.

Yeah, build quality was definitely a factor and so was lack of substantial incremental gains for more $$ for Motion 12s.

I guess I can go with Encores now and then upgrade to more meatier Fresco or such that has ATF driver as well at a later date when I can opportunistically get a good price on it.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far!

I have an encore that I'm using as a center and it works well enough. For the cost you really can't go wrong with the encore as a center. For rear surrounds though I still prefer in-ceiling speakers at least for movies/TV.

I have an encore that I'm using as a center and it works well enough. For the cost you really can't go wrong with the encore as a center. For rear surrounds though I still prefer in-ceiling speakers at least for movies/TV.

Hi, which in-ceiling speakers are you using? ML Helos 10, 10 or 100? How many in what configuration (5.2, 7.2, etc.).

I am driving my Encorces with a 95wpc amp (sides and rear) and find them to clear and loud for HT experiences. I, however, am not using the Encore for the center.

Hello,
I really have not read that any people stating they prefer In Ceiling Speakers to Freestanding Speakers. Almost always, it is a WAF and or aesthetic driven decision as having Speakers in the Ceiling are at a major performance disadvantage.

Xtvium, I would absolutely recommend getting the biggest CC that you can afford. I had forgotten to mention the Fresco as it has been discontinued and I am not that familiar with all of the ATF Design Series Models. If you can find a Fresco, I would jump on it.
Cheers,
JJ

I bought my Preface fronts and Encore center before the Motion line was announced and have been very pleased with them. I have listened to the Motion 12, but not enough to make a judgment as to which speaker is better. Based on looks and construction material, I am glad to own the Preface.

I just recently finished my 5.1 system with the Motion 4 as the surrounds. I also watch a lot of movies and wanted the home theater experience, but based on my room dynamics I needed smaller wall mountable speakers for the rears. I was pleased when the Motion series was announced so that I could keep everything under the ML brand. I had to buy ceiling mounts, instead of using the ML provided mounts, so that I could better angle the speakers to my listening area. In my opinion, everything blends together well and I have been very happy with the sound.

Back