Equipment between the speakers.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scumurculum

Reaction score
Well, after many years my dream has been fulfilled, finally we have moved house and I have a dedicated audio room for my Aeon I's which I can fit out and decorate without any concerns about the WAF.

The room is not perfect being only 3metres (9.84 feet) wide and 5.5 metres long (18 feet). Although in its favour it does have a 11 foot ceilings. It also has lots of windows on the side wall and most of the wall behind the speakers is glass (big French doors), however I am installing double glazing (so as not to annoy the neighbours) and heavy floor to ceiling curtains.

For listening I will use the length of the room.

Given the relative narrowness of the room, my stereo equipment must be placed between the speakers. In my previous house there was a large equipment rack and plasma tv between and behind the speakers which decimated their ability to image well.

If I did have the equipment between the speakers would I mitigate the impact on soundstaging by keeping the height of the equipment below the level of the panels? (fortunately we are only taking about an integrated amp a dac and a mac mini)

At present the equipment is sitting on the floor although I would like to have a low cabinet to assist with cable management.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Frank

Last edited:
Hi Frank,

I think it will be okay as long as the equipment height is below the bottom of the stator. I lowered my equipment down to being 2 feet off the floor which made a big difference. I was surprised.My system pictures need to be updated with the change.

A plasma screen will certainly decimate imaging, but equipment is less area, lower down, and is not large and flat - ie - it breaks up sound.

I wouldn't worry about it. But the speakers will probably be out in the room, so keep the equipment behind them.

Having a room to play in is great - just listen and work it out.

I'd love to hear it when you have it finalised - PM me!

Frank, if you have a dedicated room, get the junk out from between the speakers. That means all of it!! Even if it means putting it behind you.

I've experimented with all the junk between the speakers, on the side and behind and I've found the best place was in the null on the long wall. Even if it costs more to add longer IC's.

You have your own room! Make it right and keep the junk out of the middle and you'll be surprised at the difference!

Gordon

If at all possible, remove the rack from between the speakers. If not, pull the speakers as far from the front wall as possible while maintaining the best possible sound. I wish I had the luxury to move the rack to one of the side walls.

Back