Spire and Descent (non i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darude

Reaction score
Hi!

Today I have a pair of Descent (non i) subwoofers that are integrated with ML SL3 (new panels with transparent stators). I managed to integrate the subs seamlessly with the SL3s when I crossed the subs at 70hz, main volume at 1.2 and 25hz volume at -12db. Now, I just love the sound coming out from my speakers, great amount of details, great soundstage and especially the low frequenzy sound.

But, in a near future I want to upgrade to the new generation of ML. If I go for Spire, do you think there will be a problem to integrate them with my 2 Descent (non i) subwoofers? I believe I can cross them over at 40hz and play with the tone controls on the spire to achieve a flat frequenzy respons? Or what do you think?

Today, I can not imagine a better subwoofer, the Descent has it all, tight, deep, punch, power and "non existing" in my room (Im not a basshead). But, do you think there will be a "mis-match" between Spire and Descent? I wonder if they work together or will the Descents "destroy" the characteristic sound of Spire?

I would like to hear your 2 cents.

Thanks!

/Darude

So what do you think? Should I stick with my Descents and buy Spire or sell them and go for Summits? Or perhaps Summits and Descents?

I would really like to hear some experiences.

Best regards Darude

Hi Darude,

Although, I don't own summits ir Spires, I do read everything on this site. From what I have read, it would be better to buy the Spire over the summit and keep your descents. Several people have spires and subs on this site.

One gentleman runs 2 JL Audio subs with his spires. You won't have a problem at all. Have a look at this
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=9195
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=10574

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Thanks! You are probably right. I was a bit curious since Descent can only cross over at 40hz and 70hz. JL has more crossover options and may therefore be easier to integrate. It would be fruitful to hear if someone has tried Spire and Descents together in 2ch listening. I cannot find anyone with this combination in the member systems area though.

Descent i has more crossover options compared to Descent non i. However, I am not sure Descent i outperforms the older Descent in sound quality, especially since I don't "press" the subs at all today. They are just idling and still give me the awesome sound. I am just worried about the limited crossover option the Descent non i has. But it should be possible to integrate them with a flat frequency curve since Spire has 2 volume knobs to play with aswell. I hope my theory works.

Feel free to share your visions and experiences.

Thanks/ Darude

I read on here somewhere from a Martin Logan dealer who said that when mating ML subs they like to bring them in as low as possible and for JL, they prefer 80hz with a external crossover. I would bring the descents in at 40.

Last edited:
Your Descent and Spire combination should be fine, depending on your room I'd think bringing the descent in between 40-65hz should work.

Latest posts

Back