Non ML subs with ML speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrown

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience using Non-ML subwoofers with the stats? Im anxiously awaiting the delivery of my vantage speakers and im wondering what im in for with my 15" Velodyne DLS-5000R. I can see myself getting a Depth i or Descent i eventually but im making a good amplifier my first priority as i know the speakers aren't gonna like my reciever.

Thanks

I have always run my mine with other brand subs. With my CLS, I have used Carver 5.1 (10"), BassMaxx B1 (18" horn), M&K V1B (12") and Danley DTS-10 (dual 10" horn). The sub must be fast to keep up with the speed of the panels. I now run the Danley with Prodigy's.

Anyone here have any experience using Non-ML subwoofers with the stats?

Thanks

Yes, I'm running CLS IIz (prior speaker was the Vista) with a JL Audio F112 and it sounds great in my 2.1 set-up. JL Audio does one thing and one thing only, bass. A few other members also run JL and hopefully they'll respond as well.

I was running a depth sub with my Odyssey's with great results. I sold it to help funding towards 4 ASC tube traps 16x78 tall. I miss the sub and intend to get 2 depth i's at some point as the sub added both to music and movies.

The JL subs are great, but then you have to run something like a Bryston crossover with them.

I was running a depth sub with my Odyssey's with great results. I sold it to help funding towards 4 ASC tube traps 16x78 tall. I miss the sub and intend to get 2 depth i's at some point as the sub added both to music and movies.

The JL subs are great, but then you have to run something like a Bryston crossover with them.

Please excuse my ignorance, I don't understand why you would need an external crossover. Would you mind providing more explanation? I am considering a JL sub.

Thank you

The JL subs don't have a built in crossover for high pass. So you would run your mains full range and use the JL to augment the low end maybe below 50Hz or so. Then run the built in ARO to smooth out the peaks. I did this with my Vista's and it worked fine.

In a multichannel setup I have used in descending order;

Yamaha Powered Sub
Sunfire Sub
Sunfire Signature Sub
SVS Sub
ML Descent i Sub
JL Audio Gotham SUB!

Each worked well with electrostats, but each was an improvement on the previous, the Gotham was in a class of its own. It's very fast and it goes way low and loud if you want.

Also BG Radia which is a planar speaker company has a pretty cool subwoofer that is a unique design and maybe the fastest of any sub, at least for keeping up with Stats. http://www.bgcorp.com/subwoofer-speakers.html

If you have the proper room situation, an Infinite baffle sub is both very cost effective and absolutely one of the best subs one can have for 'stats.

They are super low-distortion and can play incredibly loud. My IB even pressurizes my room to the point of where listeners ears pop due to pressure changes on certain material.

For sealed box subs, the Velodyne DD-series are very good, and as JMAUSGP indicates, the JL's are pretty capable as well.

I'm utilizing a Velodyne DD-15 in my setup just fine, It's 'rolled out' @ 65hz with nice steep 24 db slope. The onboard SMS EQ package with the DD series makes room tuning a snap.

FWIW and IMO some folks ask 'too' much of their subs, like trying to perform beyond the second octave.

FWIW and IMO some folks ask 'too' much of their subs, like trying to perform beyond the second octave.

Couldn't agree more. My Whise sub is great, and I also utilise a Behringer DSP1124P for management. It is tuned for very little output above 35Hz and a 100dB/octave crossover at 60Hz.

Latest posts

Back