introduction to panels help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew01

Reaction score
So I have been referred to this site and I figured why not? So I am looking to buy some used speakers and am upgrading from my paradigm monitor 9 v6. I understand that only I can tell which speakers sounds best. My room is about 14' by 25' but I am moving an a year and my room size will be cut by how much I dont know. Can I use martin logans in a room of this size or smaller? The only thing I have seen that I could afford were some used aerius i's for 1200. Should I be blown away from any martin logans or can I only judge this? Just some peoples personal experience on panels (martin logans) , room size, and whatever you want to say would be great. :music:

Just go listen to Martin Logans and judge for yourself.

Don't worry about the room size you can always buy a ML speaker that will work in your room no matter how big or small. It just may mean you may have to work at it a little more. You might have to buy some sound treatments, audyssey, work on placement, etc.

I have a room (28 by 14) that is dedicated to 5.1 music and it is an all Martin Logan speaker room and the speakers are really big, but with sound panels, placement and room correction on the low end it works well. In fact I have been told more than once that listening to CLXs in that room is a life changing experience.:music:

Yeah, MLs are that good at least IMHO. But you probably shouldn't ask me, I am coming up on 3 dozen MLs being used in my various systems. With MLs you either love them and are instantly addicted or you move on to box speakers and save your money in CDs, and I am not talking music CDs.:D

Buy the best Martin Logans you can afford now, and in a year - when it comes time to move - choose the next house based on the size/quality of the listening room.

.......you think I'm joking........:eek:

I actually am looking to sell my Aerius i speakers (moving to the Summit X) and I can tell you that they do sound fantastic for the price point. My first room was about 12 x 18 (but one side was open to the dining area) and they sounded great. In my new room (28x32), they sound even better. One thing you will note will all Martin Logan electrostats are the clean open sound. The better the amp, the better they get! You will have to play with the placement a bit as even a slight adjustment can make a huge difference. There is a flashlight test which really helps. Lastly, you should really consider getting a good sub with them like a JL Audio as they blend in perfectly. I currently have an old Velodyne HGS 8 sub, but just ordered the JL audio F113 myself!.

If you are interested in my Aerius i, I would be willing to sell them for $1100. They are in excellent condition and still sound great. Here is the ad I have in the classified section.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10961

Either way, welcome to electrostats. What ever ones you end up with, you will be hooked!

What kind of music do u like and what type of electronics? MLs for the most part are not real bass heavy speakers. So if you really want slam then you will want a sub that integrates well with them. If you like clarity, voices, soundstage and a boxless character - then you will be hooked.

Hi Andrew,

Years ago, I too switched from Paradigmn studio 100's to a new set of Aerius i's and never looked back.The Aerius i's are a good speaker. I think you would quite like them and yes you can run logans in a room that size.

I am running a set of Odyssey's in a dedicated 12x20 room with outstanding results. One thing with logans is that they really demand quality electronics to mate with to get the optimum sound from the speakers and also having a distance of around 5 feet from the stator to the wall behind the speaker.

.Cheers from Ontario.

Greg

Last edited:
Well thanks for all the great responses. I will be going to listen to some martin logans and other speakers and I guess we will see from there. There may be another addict soon...:p

Moon, if you don't want TomDac to deep six your last post you had better remove your link to the canuckaudiomart listing; it is the same as an audiogon link, which is not allowed.

I agree that you should listen to as many as possible. If you have a good dealer and really get serious, try to arrange a home audition.

Well I'm hoping the dealer will let me bring my own amp and CD player to the audition.
Ideally once you have narrowed down your choice of speaker, the dealer should let you try a pair at home. I don't see why a dealer would not let you try out your own amp and CDP; it would be a good way to find out any amp/speaker incompatibilites.

Andrew welcome to the board! I'm not that far from you and just bought my first Logans...Aerius i's with upgraded panels so I know how you feel. If you'd like to listen to my set one night just give me a shout. For what its worth my set came from Creative Audio. I've known the owner there a long time and would highly recommend them.

Back