DAC with multiple in and outputs - does it exist?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
I am looking for a DAC for my Squeezebox, which is going through a Krell S1200u Processor, feeding SL3's and s couple of JL Audio Fathom 113's among other things. My question is this: I want to add an external DAC to my system, but really need it for my squeezebox, Blu Ray player, and I guess my Cable box! DOes a DAC exist with 3 in and outputs, or would I have to buy 3 seperate units??? thanks gordon

I use a Museatex DCC as designed by Ed Meitner. Four inputs, a bit long in the tooth, but does the job. Shows up on A'gon with regularity.

There are plenty!

Have a look at the recently released Musical Fidelity M1.

Also, I think the Cambridge Audio DACMagic does this too.

Bear in mind you may however, have to use different cables - Toslink, Coax, AES for each different source.

Then there's a whole host of quirky things like digital preamps, et al, which may or may not interest you.

DOes a DAC exist with 3 in and outputs, or would I have to buy 3 seperate units??? thanks gordon

I'm running a PS Audio Digital Link III for my Squeezebox, it has 3 inputs, optical and coaxial SPDIF inputs, also USB computer interface. It only has two outputs, balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA). You can change inputs and sample rates from the front panel.

Audio Advisor has them new for $699 or used on Agon from about $500.

Great little DAC, IMHO!

There are plenty!

Have a look at the recently released Musical Fidelity M1.

Also, I think the Cambridge Audio DACMagic does this too.

Bear in mind you may however, have to use different cables - Toslink, Coax, AES for each different source.

Then there's a whole host of quirky things like digital preamps, et al, which may or may not interest you.

Thanks! I checked out the Cambridge Audio Dac Magic and really like it! Does anyone on here have any first hand experience with this unit? The price is pretty sweet as well!

I actually just noticed that the Cambridge dac does have 2 (3) inputs, but only one output! That means that i would only have one analog out going into my Krell processor? That would complicate the inputs now on the Krell as I only have one totall (and not seperate inputs for Squeezebox, blu ray, etc...) and would need to do the source switching at the Cambridge front panel (input 1, 2 etc..)? That would probably not work for me... say it ain't so! :(

Does the Gamma2 ("Y2") DAC from amb.org have enough inputs for you? I want to make one some day soon.

The McIntosh MDA1000 has seven inputs (rca, optical and xlr) and two outputs (rca and xlr).

Since it will be replaced by the MDA1100 (someday soon) one can be had for big savings on the gon.

Gordon

I am looking for a DAC for my Squeezebox, which is going through a Krell S1200u Processor, feeding SL3's and s couple of JL Audio Fathom 113's among other things. My question is this: I want to add an external DAC to my system, but really need it for my squeezebox, Blu Ray player, and I guess my Cable box! DOes a DAC exist with 3 in and outputs, or would I have to buy 3 seperate units??? thanks gordon

Kinda curious why you don't want to use the built in dac in the Krell, it looks like it has a ton of inputs and also unbalanced and balanced outputs. I would think the Krell dac would be better than the Cambridge.

Kinda curious why you don't want to use the built in dac in the Krell, it looks like it has a ton of inputs and also unbalanced and balanced outputs. I would think the Krell dac would be better than the Cambridge.

That's a good point! The sound is very good right now... I guess the dac's in a $13k processor made by Krell should be pretty good! Maybe I am chasing the wrong thing in my system...

That's a good point! The sound is very good right now... I guess the dac's in a $13k processor made by Krell should be pretty good! Maybe I am chasing the wrong thing in my system...

I took a look at the link to your system, it is amazing. If it were my system I would only change one thing, replace the Squeezebox with something in the line of a Soolos system and rip all of your music or at a more reasonable price but less elegant interface the new Naim DAC and the PS Audio PWD DAC support NAS harddrives and/or USB input and to access your full ripped library there are apps for the iPhone or iPod. Great system as it is though!

Back