Mono Block Opinions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are the M-120s? as compared to the M-150s?

I have never listened to the 120's so I can't say, I do believe there is a circuit/topology difference between the two as well, or at least an upgrade in componetry, transformers, etc.

Give Mark Obrien a call @ Rogue, he'll gladly explain the difference.

As for Jeff's comment about them being 'seriously eclipsed' by the ARC's he mentions....I doubt that, regardless the ARC's are a '6550' output tube based vs. the KT-88 of the Rogue so I suspect a 'subjective sonic' difference. With that being said both of those ARC 'classics' are are marvelous and if you feel competent in selecting used tube gear than by all means give them consideration as well. FWIW, the older units can be 20 plus years old.

There seem to be some good deals on M120's right now on Audiogon. Then again, there's also some tasty ARC stuff there.

Yea, i saw the M-120's and 99 pre-amp on Agon, that town is only 30 minutes from me which makes it very tempting, but I have been asking around a bunch and a handfull of folks think my current Amp is a better choice than the Rogue M-120's.

You can run the ARC's with KT88's if you want to change the bias. The Rogue stuff really is pretty middle of the road gear.

For my money, I'd take a 20 year old piece of ARC than a new Rogue anything. And yes, I've heard almost everything Rogue makes. QC is pretty minimal. At least the PrimaLuna stuff is very well made.

The Classic 120 and 150 were $6,995 and $9,995 back in the late 80's/early 90's and were built like tanks. Much of what is now the REF series started with these two amplifiers.

If there's any way you can get an audition on either one of these, you won't be disappointed. The ARC amps are at pretty much what they will be worth forever now. The Rogue amps will only continue to go down in price.

And, if you are nervous, you can always send the ARC's back to the factory for a recap/tune up and they will be good as new for another 25 years. You won't get that kind of support from Rogue.

Much appreciated guys! I have a laundry list of gear to research and read about now. I also will be looking at higher end integrated's as well and all your opinions really matter in my quest for better sonic pleasure!

Much appreciated guys! I have a laundry list of gear to research and read about now. I also will be looking at higher end integrated's as well and all your opinions really matter in my quest for better sonic pleasure!

If you are able to move fast there is a pair of Aragon 1K monoblocks (balanced connectors) on the Gon right now for $2200. I use a pair of the Pals to drive my Summits and I think they are a perfect match for ESLs.

If you are able to move fast there is a pair of Aragon 1K monoblocks (balanced connectors) on the Gon right now for $2200. I use a pair of the Pals to drive my Summits and I think they are a perfect match for ESLs.

Yeah, those Palladium were (are?) great. I had a set for a short time before I went to my Mark Levinson.

Just an FYI. I mainly listen to vinyl, is ST the better choice? I guess wth a real good Tube pre the Aragons could be amazing?

Just an FYI. I mainly listen to vinyl, is ST the better choice? I guess wth a real good Tube pre the Aragons could be amazing?

Just what I use a BAT VK31SE and the Palladiums. The Aragons are sweet sounding without any harshness and mine are biased to operate class A up to about 120 watts so for most music they are class A. But when needed they go on forever power wise.

The nice thing about buying that set for $2200 is that you will always get your money back out of them should you find something your prefer.

Last edited:
Hey guys been awhile, Anyway After much research and many hours spent reading the differences between amps and setups, I think I have come to the conclusion that I will be buying an Integrated amp instead of monos, main reason being the room size at the moment. I just sold my Vantages and will be selling my DK MKIII integrated soon. I will have about a $5-6k budget in several months. I have been looking at the LSA Statement and Ayon Triton (used obviously). the bigger question is; Is all Tube class A or Integrated better with the Spires all around? And what is the Re-tubing costs when the tubes start to go? Keep in mind I love my system but have caught that Audiophileistic bug!

Back