Mono Block Opinions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necrosuit

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got a new pair of Spires and want to go from my current DK Design MKIII Integrated amp over to some mono blocks. The catch is I need to sell or trade my Vantage's and DK amp first, then Ill have about a 5-6k Budget. So what are all your opinions on Mono blocks with Spires in this price range? Or is it wiser to stay with a single Amp? The current room size is 10x15 and room treatments are coming very soon. All help is very appreciated.

Hi Necro, I had a B&K 220 and a McIntosh 352 for my two channel amps. The 352 seemed to run out of gas on some music but I was really pushing it hitting the PowerGuard. The B&K was fine for soft, less dynamic music but a bit warm for me.

My dealer gave me a great deal on the 501's with my 352 in trade. I think I paid 3800 for the 352 and got 3500 on trade in 18 months later.

Since experiencing monos, I don't think I could go back to a two channel amp. I'm sure there are many fine pieces out there that would prove me wrong. The seperation, definition and accuracy of the monos is what I was looking for.

Hopefully, some of the the other folks with different brands will comment. I'm a McIntosh nut but not a fanboy :D

Gordon

I have a pair of ARC VTM 120's, which are rare, and I am very pleased with them. However, I am sure there are a lot of great stereo amps out there. Just look at the member systems.

BTW if you get monoblocks you will no doubt agonize over the choice between long interconnects/short speaker cables and short interconnects/long speaker cables.

Wow! I hit 500 posts on that last one and didn't realize it! Do I get a coffee cup or something?:D

OK Jim, I'll be there for the next RMAF and we'll throw back a couple (many) and you you can show me around CO! I'd love to hear your room with all the treatments!

Glad to see around here again. I gave up at that other site. Couldn't take the fanboyism! We'll chat about it some time:confused:

Gordon

I have been using Bryston 7bst with my Prodigys and have been quite happy with the sound.

Oh Bernard, why did you have to go there! :D
It always makes for an interesting discussion. I remember one person (can't remember who, though) who dogmatically stated that there was only one way to do it, though which one it was I can't remember either.

I have often wondered if when using monoblocks located right next to a speaker, it would make sense to use two very thick separate wires to go from the amp to the speaker. The length of each wire would have to be only about two feet. I wonder if it would make a difference. Of course, some cable manufacturers (no surprise) claim that you need a minimum of 8 ft.

Dang.. I miss shopping for gear.. :music:

I love the idea of mono-blocks, but just didn't have the room. There are lots of good ones out there.. Parasound JC1's are very nice with MLs.

Hey guys,
I just got a new pair of Spires and want to go from my current DK Design MKIII Integrated amp over to some mono blocks. The catch is I need to sell or trade my Vantage's and DK amp first, then Ill have about a 5-6k Budget. So what are all your opinions on Mono blocks with Spires in this price range? Or is it wiser to stay with a single Amp? The current room size is 10x15 and room treatments are coming very soon. All help is very appreciated.

I'm very happy driving my Spires with a pair of PrimaLuna ProLogue Seven monoblocks. For the money in your budget, you might be able to get into a pair of their big brothers, the DiaLogue Sevens.

FWIW, I prefer the longer interconnect, shorter speaker cable approach.

Dang.. I miss shopping for gear.. :music:

I love the idea of mono-blocks, but just didn't have the room. There are lots of good ones out there.. Parasound JC1's are very nice with MLs.

I agree. Own Parasound JC1's over 1,5 years now, and am still surprised how good they are! In fact, they improve with age (the many testimonials on the internet are right in that respect). Tried out many amplifiers. Owned VTL 450's during 8 years, liked them much, but the Parasounds are better in most aspects with the Summits. The jc1's are not at all expensive besides. Do not understand why there is no more mention of them on this forum?

Mono Blocks or Stereo Chassis?

Hey guys,

I have gone back and forth with Monoblocks and Single Chassis Stereo amplifiers. There are obvious trade offs either way. I think that you might consider the Pass Labs Monoblocks that begin with the XA 60.5's (Class A operation). The JC1 Parasounds are also a great value, particularly when linked to the JC 2 preamplifier. If you can run in balanced mode then interconnect length is not a serious issue and shorter speaker cables can be used. You also have decide in a room your size whether you want the amps out there in the open or in your equipment rack.

Thanks a bunch guys! I have been doing lots of research on this question lately. I’m hoping to have a listen at some blocks or better integrated's soon. The Primaluna sevens seem intriguing. I’m also interested in the AMR AM-77 integrated, anyone have any experience with that amp? I just found out that theres also a Conrad-Johnson store 1/2 mile from my new home! I will have to go audition some gear I think.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch guys! I have been doing lots of research on this question lately. I’m hoping to have a listen at some blocks or better integrated's soon. The Primaluna sevens seem intriguing. I’m also interested in the AMR AM-77 integrated, anyone have any experience with that amp? I just found out that theres also a Conrad-Johnson store 1/2 mile from my new home! I will have to go audition some gear I think.

I'm exactly the same as you, I will only go down the monoblock route. At the moment I'm using Odyssey Stratos Monoblock Extremes ($3200 per pair New). Compared to the very best in the world (State Of The Art), they are still very good power amps. They are capable of producing rock solid holographic images that are actually in the room between and around the speakers. They perform as well as power amps in the $9,000 range.

Last edited:
In conjunction with the Prima Lunas I may add that you take a look at the Rogue Audio line of MonoBlocks.................

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_m150.htm

Yes..... I own them and I'm more than pleased with them driving my Spire's.
Given your rather small listening room you should have no issues.

Yes i have heard that the Rogue Mono blocks are quite impressive, How are the M-120s? as compared to the M-150s?

If you want a pair of tube monoblocks, I'd consider a pair of Audio Research Classic 120's or 150's. You should be able to find a pair of 120's for about $2500 a pair and a pair of 150's for about $3700 a pair. Either of these will seriously eclipse Rogue or Prima Luna (and I'm a happy Prima Luna owner)

Both of the ARC amps are 120wpc and 150wpc in triode mode. Tons of giddyup.

Back