View Poll Results: How Long Did Your ML ESL Panels Last?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-2 years

0 0%
  • 3-4 years

1 1.64%
  • 5-6 years

7 11.48%
  • 7-8 years

10 16.39%
  • 9-10 years

5 8.20%
  • 11-12 years

3 4.92%
  • 13-14 years

9 14.75%
  • 15-16 years

7 11.48%
  • 17-18 years

5 8.20%
  • 19 years +

15 24.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Have Your ML Panels Actually Lasted?

Default How Long Have Your ML Panels Actually Lasted?

So you've been using MLs for a number of years. Or you've bought some second hand, but knew the age of the panels.

Approximately how long did your panels last before you hand trouble/needed to replace them?

If you've saved your panels by washing them, or doing some other kind of renovation, how old were they when you did so?

I've been meaning to raise this poll for a long time. Some real world data might even help ML, though I guess they have a pretty good picture of how long they really last from replacement panel orders.

What this thread may do is give people a good idea of how long they really do last. From it, they ought to be able to ascertain whether they wish to make a purchase or not. A CLX or Summit X is an expensive speaker, after all, and some may consider essential panel replacement after a certain likely lifetime to be a major hindrance to actually buying a pair in the first place.

Please don't let this thread de-generate into a Sanders life time warranty versus the lack thereof via ML argument. We've been there and made all the salient points already.

Potentially a very interesting thread if life expectancy actually turns out to be much shorter (or even greater) than most expected. We'll see

Multiple votes are allowed in case you've been through a few panels, but that only kinda works if they've lasted different time periods

Additionally, please don't vote if you have simply damaged them by accident! Pretty obvious, really.
    Last edited by User211; 05-28-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Justin,

I have had my ML's for 10 years, and they still sound great, so I can't respond to the poll, because if I selected 9-10 years it would mean that I had to replace the panels after that time, which is not the case.

OTOH, though they do sound fine to me, how do I know that they do not have to be replaced? Maybe I'm missing a lot by not replacing them?

It needs a sister thread, really, Bernard. I'll raise one soon if this thread stands its ground.

In answer to your "how do I know?" question, I suppose most replace when there is an obvious audibly identifiable problem. That's when I've changed mine.

But yeah - it is possible they are performing below par, and you haven't really cottoned onto it. One of the joys of ESL ownership!

If you do add another thread knowing who had panels that just got tired and didn't sound good as opposed to having panels with a mechanical problem would be interesting.

I have had two sets of panels (CLS) on different speakers that have separated and to sets of panels (CLS) that have had vibrations from the tuning tape on the panels let go.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad225 View Post
    If you do add another thread knowing who had panels that just got tired and didn't sound good as opposed to having panels with a mechanical problem would be interesting.

I have had two sets of panels (CLS) on different speakers that have separated and to sets of panels (CLS) that have had vibrations from the tuning tape on the panels let go.
    Well, if they got tired and didn't sound as good, they NEED replacing in my book, and you should vote here.

We had started to think that the panels were beginning to go off about three years ago - nothing awful and in the category of are we kidding ourselves.

About six months ago it became pretty obvious with the speakers beginning to sound bassy and muddy.

I happened to ring just yesterday one of the local custom speaker manufacturers for some assistance regarding replacing the drivers/panels and implementing an active crossover.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Well, if they got tired and didn't sound as good, they NEED replacing in my book, and you should vote here.
    I did, mine reflected the separation.

The first set on my Quests went out after 5 years. But I could have taken better care of them. This set of panels are going on 7 years and showing signs of deterioration. I will nurse them on a bit by using the treble boost and bass -2 db switches as necessary. I am looking to get either the Sanders 10B or Summit X.

Incidentally, the cost of the original replacement panels was $700.00 and the cost now for a set of panls is $900.00. If they sold replacement panel using the new ESL technology, I would snap them up.

There appear to be three votes indicating 19+ years.

It's now I wish that I had done the poll so you could see precisely who had voted for that time period. Whilst I'm not saying it is impossible, I am extremely sceptical that anyone has panels that have lasted that long and that are still performing well.

If you voted 19+ years, and you're convinced this is the truth, could you please post with more info?

Original panels on my SL3's. 15.5 years and going strong. There is a slight buzzing from one of the panels, but it's not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    There appear to be three votes indicating 19+ years.

It's now I wish that I had done the poll so you could see precisely who had voted for that time period. Whilst I'm not saying it is impossible, I am extremely sceptical that anyone has panels that have lasted that long and that are still performing well.

If you voted 19+ years, and you're convinced this is the truth, could you please post with more info?
    From: larrymarkert@yahoo.com [mailto:larrymarkert@yahoo.com]
    Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 10:36 AM
    To: Jim Power
    Subject:

Jim how much for new panels and woofers for Sequel II's SN is SEBG110 and the panel numbers are SS2BG110 & 111

This is an email I sent last year, these were the original panels and still sounded great .

I just replaced my panels because I noticed one panel had gotten a bit soft
    ( not as loud as the other) I could adjust for it with the balance control but decided it was time for a new set.

Using the age decoder that means these panels were made in July of 1990 so they were 19 years old when they needed attention. I always vacumm and use a high quality air purifier and it is a smoke and cooking free enviorment.
    Last edited by repman; 05-29-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Oh me of little faith

Well, it does look like some panels really do last that long. Lucky repman!!! Thanks for qualifying your vote.

Your welcome , those panels had a nice run, lets see what I can get out of the new ones

Here are the new Panels with out the black spars of the old ones
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice pic enjoy - good speakers SL3s - heard a pair in 1995-6 and remember them clearly to this day