How Long Have Your ML Panels Actually Lasted?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Long Did Your ML ESL Panels Last?

• 1-2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-4 years

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 5-6 years

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • 7-8 years

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • 9-10 years

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 11-12 years

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 13-14 years

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • 15-16 years

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 17-18 years

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • 19 years +

Votes: 18 28.6%

• Total voters
Sequels purchased new 1988. Have been put through the wringer of different Amps, music styles as well as HT.

Two months ago I replaced the panels and subs. Mainly needed to replace the subs but did the panels as well because I was told they would stop supporting them. Also I liked the idea of clear spars.

I am hanging on to my original panels because my ears aren't convinced yet the new panels have the sweet sound I am used to. Of course my ears aren't what they used to be either.

One thing note worthy is I am having a heck of a time getting the speaker back in position for that 3D effect I have enjoyed.

I am very new to this forum and have learned a great deal in a short time from all who participate. I wish I would have found this place sooner... Like around 1989! :rolleyes:

Sequels purchased new 1988. Have been put through the wringer of different Amps, music styles as well as HT.

Two months ago I replaced the panels and subs. Mainly needed to replace the subs but did the panels as well because I was told they would stop supporting them. Also I liked the idea of clear spars.

I am hanging on to my original panels because my ears aren't convinced yet the new panels have the sweet sound I am used to. Of course my ears aren't what they used to be either.

One thing note worthy is I am having a heck of a time getting the speaker back in position for that 3D effect I have enjoyed.

I am very new to this forum and have learned a great deal in a short time from all who participate. I wish I would have found this place sooner... Like around 1989! :rolleyes:

Did you mark the old location spot on the floor with tape and measure and write down each panels meausrement before and after wall to wall?

WOW! 22 years is a long time! You must keep good care of them.

By subs, you are referring to the woofers, correct? Usually they don't go bad before the panels. What was wrong with them?

I broke down today to wash the panels; I am not the original owner, so I can't swear they didn't have a problem before I got them. But for me, for the past 5 years they have been champs. One panel started to be less responsive about 3 months ago and it has taken me a while to diagnose the problem to the speakers (rather than ICs, preamp, amp, stylus, etc).

They went into the shower today and are drying. Tomorrow I re-evaluate. $700 for new panels seems to me like a bargain given how wonderful these speakers have been....IF I have to buy them.....let's hope not :)

Vantage, 5 years, going fine, vacuum frequently, same response as speaker after break-in. Measured by Phonics Paa2.

J

3 years on feel free to vote in the poll if you haven't already. I think this thread is important for every prospective ML owner really, especially WRT replacement panel costs and factoring in risk.

Just jumping in to update my data points:

Sequel IIb's purchased new in 1993 still going strong 23 years on. Yes there is some treble roll-off, but I use mine as rears in my HT, and the room correction EQ can deal with the minor adjustment.

The front three (Monoliths and SL3XC) panels are turning 10 this year, and all sound perfect.

Still trying to decide whether to re-panel the Sequels, I have one brand new panel (the pair to the one I used on the center), so if anyone has a single Sequel/SL3 panel purchased in the last 10 years, I'd be interested in purchasing it.

I'm assuming my panels are original, although I'm the third owner so 1993 and going strong. I have been using an older Crown DC300A (the newer verision with the IOC lights) for over a year with a Crown IC150A. I have to say my Sequel lls sing with this combination. Have done a huge amount of listening comparing to big floor speakers Klipsch Forte's and Quartets Boston Audio A200, also stand mounts Paradigm Studio 20s, KEF Q300, and finally Monitor Audio Bronze 2. Even though my Sequels are original (I did recap the crossovers) they exceed all these others. Could my panels be bad and still perform like this?

I think my Sequels were in a Maine summer home for all but the last 3 years, thus not used much. SSEI726, SSEI727 so September 1993, 25 years. These have incredible frequency response and presence (if that is the right word). Using a frequency sweep about 28Hz (I replaced the woofers) to beyond 14Khz (my limitation) at very close to the same level. Thanks for the info on S/N.

... Could my panels be bad and still perform like this?

As an owner of the same vintage Sequels, sounds like yours are still going strong just the same as mine. I've been surprised that they show very little degradation, but then 20 years in windowless environments helps, as does regular vacuuming. Oh and climate controlled room.

So no, your panels seem to be OK.

Hi

Anyone knows price new panels Odyssey?

And have anyone changed, and is it worth the effort ?

Mine is one of the last one produced. ( last year)

I have a pair of Sequel's, purchased by my Dad in 1987/88...still going strong with the original panels. There's no doubt some sound degradation so I'm in the process of determining what should be replaced or not. I'm kinda new here too so Hi!

AllYourBaseRbelong2Us, I bought my Vistas in the latter half of 2012, so just under seven years ago, and they still sound great. I checked how much replacement of the mylar would be as a precursor to actually needing a repair, and I was told that they would make new panels and ship them for right at $2000. I'm not sure if the same would be true for other models, but apparently the Vista is recent enough to just make new panels. The woofers on mine are perfect also. I used to have to recone my JBL woofers every ten years. After the third time, at 32 years old and needing other things worked on I gave the speakers away and got the Vistas.

I've heard others say they have panels that still work well and are more than 20 years old, but I think yours - at over thirty years! is probably the oldest still going without a repair!

I had an inquiry into ML last year (before I put everything in storage in prep of our move) and they said $500/panel. Not terrible. I need to spend some time here searching and reading. I've come across of few nuggets that perked my curiosity, including 4' distance from front wall, sound absorption along entire front wall, and checking to see if the color of a part was pink or brown. I know enough to be dangerous at this point.
The speakers had limited use in their years and they weren't pushed hard. I have a Threshold amp as well as a Proceed to run 'em. Unfortunately the 18" downward firing Velodyne bit the dust. I have a 12" front firing unit that does the job. I also have a Audio Research SP9 MKii that was upgraded to the MKiii. Looking to get into some vinyl. Need to get the room setup better and get the speakers up to snuff.

Latest posts

Back