View Poll Results: How Long Did Your ML ESL Panels Last?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-2 years

0 0%
  • 3-4 years

1 1.59%
  • 5-6 years

7 11.11%
  • 7-8 years

10 15.87%
  • 9-10 years

5 7.94%
  • 11-12 years

3 4.76%
  • 13-14 years

10 15.87%
  • 15-16 years

7 11.11%
  • 17-18 years

5 7.94%
  • 19 years +

16 25.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How Long Have Your ML Panels Actually Lasted?

this thread is comedic gold.

~My Preface System~
    Check out my photography website: http://jmimna.com/
    My live concert recording company: http://fmrecordingco.com/

Guess I'm late to the party but my CLS 1's are now 21 years old (22 in a couple of months) and still sound clean and even (no buzzing, rattling or diminished sound levels from either panel; at least in comparison to each other). I do admit I have a number of sets of speakers so do not play them daily.

Simply resurrecting this thread to gather more data in the light of a recent thread. More votes appreciated.

My ReQueat panels will be 13 yrs old in February, still going strong. One of my biggest observations is that they have become very dark sounding. Definately night and day from the first time that I plugged them in in 1998. I am pretty anxious to replace the panels, woofers, and crossover, as I have no plans on getting rid of them anytime soon.

Dan
    Kicking back somewhere in the desert, listening to my Logans....
    Click here to see my system
    Odyssey, Descent i, Theater, Vanquish

mine have lasted untold lifetimes... as I can't recall how many fish, frogs, felines, and various other furry friends have found their way into the light since the day I first brought home my reQuests (being the oldest panels of the present population in residence)... more to the point, 14 yrs and still going strong since their date of manufacture.

My CLS IIz have the original panels from the build date of early 1998 and they still sound great to me!
    My ML CLS IIz/Pass Labs/JL Audio system here: http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...ead.php?t=9676

Sequels purchased new 1988. Have been put through the wringer of different Amps, music styles as well as HT.

Two months ago I replaced the panels and subs. Mainly needed to replace the subs but did the panels as well because I was told they would stop supporting them. Also I liked the idea of clear spars.

I am hanging on to my original panels because my ears aren't convinced yet the new panels have the sweet sound I am used to. Of course my ears aren't what they used to be either.

One thing note worthy is I am having a heck of a time getting the speaker back in position for that 3D effect I have enjoyed.

I am very new to this forum and have learned a great deal in a short time from all who participate. I wish I would have found this place sooner... Like around 1989!

Quote Originally Posted by sigus View Post
    Sequels purchased new 1988. Have been put through the wringer of different Amps, music styles as well as HT.

Two months ago I replaced the panels and subs. Mainly needed to replace the subs but did the panels as well because I was told they would stop supporting them. Also I liked the idea of clear spars.

I am hanging on to my original panels because my ears aren't convinced yet the new panels have the sweet sound I am used to. Of course my ears aren't what they used to be either.

One thing note worthy is I am having a heck of a time getting the speaker back in position for that 3D effect I have enjoyed.

I am very new to this forum and have learned a great deal in a short time from all who participate. I wish I would have found this place sooner... Like around 1989!

Did you mark the old location spot on the floor with tape and measure and write down each panels meausrement before and after wall to wall?
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace"!

Jimi Hendrix

WOW! 22 years is a long time! You must keep good care of them.

By subs, you are referring to the woofers, correct? Usually they don't go bad before the panels. What was wrong with them?

Quote Originally Posted by sigus View Post

I broke down today to wash the panels; I am not the original owner, so I can't swear they didn't have a problem before I got them. But for me, for the past 5 years they have been champs. One panel started to be less responsive about 3 months ago and it has taken me a while to diagnose the problem to the speakers (rather than ICs, preamp, amp, stylus, etc).

They went into the shower today and are drying. Tomorrow I re-evaluate. $700 for new panels seems to me like a bargain given how wonderful these speakers have been....IF I have to buy them.....let's hope not :-)

Bumped - purely for more data!

Super User

Vantage, 5 years, going fine, vacuum frequently, same response as speaker after break-in. Measured by Phonics Paa2.

J

3 years on feel free to vote in the poll if you haven't already. I think this thread is important for every prospective ML owner really, especially WRT replacement panel costs and factoring in risk.

Just jumping in to update my data points:

Sequel IIb's purchased new in 1993 still going strong 23 years on. Yes there is some treble roll-off, but I use mine as rears in my HT, and the room correction EQ can deal with the minor adjustment.

The front three (Monoliths and SL3XC) panels are turning 10 this year, and all sound perfect.

Still trying to decide whether to re-panel the Sequels, I have one brand new panel (the pair to the one I used on the center), so if anyone has a single Sequel/SL3 panel purchased in the last 10 years, I'd be interested in purchasing it.
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)