Considering JL Audio Fathom Subs: Any suggestions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
My current system #308 has CLX main speakers and 2 Descent-i in front and 2 Descents in rear (for home theater). Room is 15 X 21. I am interested in those who have integrated Fathoms into their M-L systems.
Questions deal with reliability, ease of set up and obviously integration with ES panels.
Thanks in advance

Lawrence, the JL's are fantastic, musical subs and I've had zero issues in 1 1/2 years with the f112 I'm using in my 2.1ch system. As you probably know, the Fathoms have a simple built-in EQ, which will flatten the highest measured peak. Measurement is a snap using the supplied mic, which connects directly to the sub - takes about five minutes. Use a mic stand for best results.

It integrates beautifully with my Summits, but I'm able to set delays and select the crossover frequency and slopes in order to get the best results. Don't know how flexible your Lexicon is as I'm not familiar with it.

With your room size and HT use, I should think you'll be looking at 2 (or more) f113's, though you might find f112's perfectly acceptable.

/Ken

BabyDoc,

You might try a PM to tonepub. He had dual ML Descent i subs with his CLXs and then went with JLs with the CLXs and some other speakers, so I would say he has some direct comparisons for you, at least that is the latest rumor:).

I'm also running a single F112 with my Vista's in a 2.1 setup. I agree with Ken, the JL is a great product and easy to set up. I'm also running and external electronic crossover (Pass XVR-1). I'm crossing over my Vista's at about 77 Hz to the F112.

As Ken stated you may want to run two!

I've a pair of F112's set up as a stereo pair with the Spire. I've found them much easier (relatively speaking) than setting up a single. With all the adjustments available along with the ARO taking out the peak, I'm very pleased with the accuracy. I tried a REL B1 and found it to be quite sluggish as compared to the JL.

I've recently tried a major change in the location from the corner to the inside of each Spire on the same plane. I'm beginning to prefer them on the same plane vice the corner loading the more I listen to them. Drum kicks and double bass riffs are very refined and there is no one note bass on the plane. Corner loading increased the one note bass but had more slam.

The manual is very well written and a very good aid in positioning and setup. I think the folks at JL have done their homework and produce a great product. Now if I could get a raise, I'd budget for a Gotham!

Gordon

JL Fathom subs and CLX's

Call anytime!

Hi Jeff,
I forgot that you had used these speakers with your M-L's. Email me your number and I will call you this weekend.
Regards
Lawrence Devoe

Seriously, with correct placement, you can get away with one Gotham. Two is always better, but I've been able to integrate a single one without issue.

I honestly don't think the floors in my house could support a pair! I've had the pleasure of being in a room with a pair. The impact was without a doubt, stunning in more than one way! During Edgar Winter's Frankenstein, the drum solo was very close to real.

I doubt I'll ever own one, let alone two. The F112 gives me all the bass foundation I need at this point.

Gordon

My experience in nice audio stuff is limited. I'm certain there are better choices I could have made but I have no regrets in anything I have bought.

Having said that, I think the addition of the JL subs was by far, the best purchase I made. While all the rest of the upgrades I've made over the past two or three years were a positive improvment, the JL had the most impact without a doubt.

I'd like to upgrade to the CLX when I have the room and I believe the F112 will be a good pairing. Although after reading your review on the Dynaudio C-4 and hearing them on several ocassions, my choice may drift!

Gordon

In my room when I switched from Summits to CLXs the decent subs were pressed for room. The switch to the f110 was more of a space thing. They were slightly faster, but the descents went deeper.

I also liked the ARO circuitry.

But the Gotham is another story...

Back