How's this for an upgrade path?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hocky

Reaction score
This has just been a silly journey so far. Let's see....

Sept 09 - No Hifi, pretty happy with $600 HTIB.
Oct 09 - Heard CLX's at local audio shop.... wow, I need a set, woah, not for $25k
Nov 09 - Bought a pair of Aerius i, placed into HT, running off of HTIB receiver
Dec 09 - Replaced HTIB stuff with cinema i, 3x vignette, and abyss. Bought replacement receiver, added Rotel 5 channel amp.
Feb 10 - Bought a pair of Ascent
Feb-April - Buy and try half a dozen amps before settling
April - Repanel the Ascent because, well, clearspar is cool? lol
Tomorrow - Going to pick up Summits. :)

Is that sort of ridiculous? lol. I am very anxious to get the Summits home and A/B them with the Ascents.

You got it bad... and that's good! :)

Yeah, If Joey was still in the game he'd have CLX's, JL Fathom subs and who knows what driving them.

My latest addition was the Oppo BDP-83 SE.

My mom has my Montages and my Vistas are stored in a spare room. Spires, yeah now!

To be continued...

Did you ever get the SACD and DVD Audio albums that we talked about?

Have you tried to play any of them in 5.1 surround sound?

Did you ever get the SACD and DVD Audio albums that we talked about?

Have you tried to play any of them in 5.1 surround sound?

Yep! My PS3 was able to play them w/o a problem. It was fun, but the tonality difference to the non-esl's in the back was frustrating. I need enough room to have all channels ESL to appreciate it, I think.

DSC02227.jpg

DSC02228.jpg

DSC02229.jpg

DSC02230.jpg

DSC02232.jpg

I am absolutely astonished at the bass that these are capable of and quite happy that they will allow me to leave my subwoofer to only be used for LFE in movies. Inner detail, clarity, imaging is all spectacular and oddly enough, they seem to be slightly more forgiving to bad recordings that I hated listening to on the Ascents. Off axis performance is way better than the Ascents, too. I need to get the test tones going to try to set up the controls a bit better, currently running with 5.5db @ 25hz and 3db @ 50hz.... my room is quite bass shy from the listening seat, but off axis becomes boomy. We'll see where I end up, it will still come down from where it is now, I think.

Nah, too many acoustic problems when you are against a wall :)

Open on one side and a wall on the other side sucks, but it is what it is until I find another house. I have 4 absorption panels at the first reflection on the right wall and added the stand up room divider on the other side to even things out a bit. Speakers are ~3ft from the right wall, ~5ft from the front wall.

Last edited:
This has just been a silly journey so far. Let's see....

Sept 09 - No Hifi, pretty happy with $600 HTIB.
Oct 09 - Heard CLX's at local audio shop.... wow, I need a set, woah, not for $25k
Nov 09 - Bought a pair of Aerius i, placed into HT, running off of HTIB receiver
Dec 09 - Replaced HTIB stuff with cinema i, 3x vignette, and abyss. Bought replacement receiver, added Rotel 5 channel amp.
Feb 10 - Bought a pair of Ascent
Feb-April - Buy and try half a dozen amps before settling
April - Repanel the Ascent because, well, clearspar is cool? lol
Tomorrow - Going to pick up Summits. :)

Is that sort of ridiculous? lol. I am very anxious to get the Summits home and A/B them with the Ascents.

Dangggg son dose are some nice speakers .... I bet you gota real pretty mouth too

Are you selling the Ascents due to liking the Summits better? Thanks for the comparison.

Yea, I think that I will be. The Ascent is a great speaker for sure, but my room is large/open and they just don't work without the subwoofer in here. The Summits do a much better job with the bass. I'd like to stick them in the back for rear surrounds, but I think they're a bit too big for rear duty.

Haven't you heard, you can never be too rich, too thin or have to big a speaker for the rears.:D

Trust me, if you really like multi-channel surround sound music then the bigger the rears the better.

I believe that the difference between a completely balanced ESL 5.1 system and a system that is just set up for movies is the difference between the ride Pirates of the Carribean at Disney World and an E ticket ride at Disney World. And I can actually prove that statement.

Ever since I equalized the speakers in the 5.1 setup the overwhelming comment from people listening to a demo is, "its just like a ride at Disney", I haven't prompted them they just came up with that on their own.:music:

Of course if you are not really in to Multi-channel hi-rez music............then never mind.:)

Last edited:
Hello,
Very impressive path indeed. Only thing I might recommend is checking out the Blue Marbles Project Option for Music Playback with your PS3. Blue Marbles Project is a Nasa Project that gives you really beautiful visuals of the Earth from Space. I believe the Visualizer Option is named Gaia on the PS3 Interface.
Cheers,
JJ

Latest posts

Back