ML 5.1 system - help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainvil

Reaction score
We are putting on a family room addition, so I get the benefit of resetting my speaker/surround layout. I have the new Sony 46XBR10 to build around. The room (plus young kids) requires ceiling speakers. So this is what I've purchased:

ML Helos 20 - for front L/R and rear surround (4 total)
ML Motion 8 for center

I am considering the following for subwoofer and receiver:

ML Dynamo 500 vs. Velodyne ImpactMini or MiniVee
Denon AVR2310CI HT receiver

Any thoughts on this? Price is a factor so I am aiming for high quality + reasonable value. I am drawn to the Denon as I plan to use the 2nd zone for two outside speakers. Thanks!

Are you set on using in-ceiling speakers for the fronts? You would get better sound from using in-walls at least up front. In-ceiling do great for rear surrounds but can be more difficult to make work for the front as the audio tends not to sync with where the video is.

As far the sub goes Velodyne has been around a long time and makes a well respected sub. You might get more bang for your buck with something like an SVS model but any of these would do well if the room isn't too big?

Last edited:
A few months ago I picked up the denon 2310. Not sure if it was CI. I returned it because it was not rated for my 4 ohm preface. Not sure of the impedance of your speakers so pls check it out. I opted for the onkyo nr807 because of good reviews and descent sound it produced. im still satisfied with my receiver up to now. hope this helps

Currently have Denon 3310CI(not 4ohms rated) driving 3x Encore and 2x Helio 20. All speakers I believe are rated 4ohms. It plays OK, but things are getting better when I relief receiver from duty of driving all 5 speakers and connect fronts to dedicated separate amp. It's not day and night difference. What you may hear is clipping/distortions at higher volume levels because weak receiver amplifier section. That's the issue I have with my receiver driving all 5 4ohm speakers.

thanks...

Thanks for everyone's feedback. My room isn't terribly large (14x18) but main issue is there are lots of windows and wall speakers/TV would be on an exterior wall. I'm concerned about lack of insulation.

That's what led me to settle on the ceiling option. Aesthetics is keeping me away from other front L/R that could be on the wall. I guess I hadn't considered the Helos 10 figuring the 20s are better plus price is right. Any other thoughts on the 20s? They are being shipped already.

I'll check out the Onkyo model as well. Not sure Denon will work with my speaker ohm either.

Latest posts

Back