Which subwoofer with ML Vantage or Magnepan 1.7

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjay

Reaction score
What do you guys think the best configuration of sub / speakers should be?
I have narrowed down my subwoofer purchase to either a JL Audio F110 or
F112. I already use a ML Grotto(not i model) with the Magnepan 1.7's. Should i place the ML Grotto with ML Vantage or keep it with the Magnepan. Or should I put the JL Audio Sub with the Magnepan 1.7. Will the JL Audio F112 overwhelm the Magnepans. I could put the F112 sub with the Vantages in the home theatre area. Or should I get a JL audio F110 instead. Two channel sound with the Magnepan 1.7 is the most important to me.
thanks,
Jim

How large is your room and what placement options do you have for the sub? A properly calibrate sub shouldn't overwhelm any speaker so long as its placed in an optimal place (or at least not a bad location). Most sound quality issues with subwoofers come from their interaction with the room and the resulting standing waves rather then the unit itself. Swapping out sub X for Y and keeping it the same place will likely not result in the improvements you expect unless of course the first subwoofer was being pushed past its limits as is often the case with small home theater in a box type bass modules etc.

I have a stereo pair of 112's. They can overwhelm ANY speaker if you set them that way. I did not and the effect is stunning. Now I will confess to cranking them up a few time to see what they are capable of :eek:

Can you do a pair for stereo? I frankly will never go back to single sub for 2 channel listening it can be that good. Unless the mains provide the type of bass I desire, a pair is the ticket if one can swing it.

Gordon

I would check out the planar asylum on aydioasylum. There are a bunch of threads regarding maggies and subs

I have both Magnepan and ML Vantage speakers in two different systems. I am unsure which subwoofer to place with each system also. I have been a member of the Martin logan forum for many yrs. so I am more comfortable with the advice of it's members.
Jim

If you'd like a great deal on a mint F110, PM me... I still have one left. I've used the F110 with my 1.6's with excellent results and have heard the 110 at my dealer with the 1.7s excellent combination.

I used to use a pair of F110's with my CLX's but upgraded to a Gotham earlier this year, so still have one left.

Let me know I can definitely save you a few bucks! Happy to help.

I have both Magnepan and ML Vantage speakers in two different systems. I am unsure which subwoofer to place with each system also. I have been a member of the Martin logan forum for many yrs. so I am more comfortable with the advice of it's members.
Jim

that is up to you -- but if you go over there and just do a search - or just scroll thru the posts .. there are a lot of current posts re: subs and maggies..

Jeff, why no second Gotham yet? :D

Gordon

I'm thinking about it! For now the Gotham is turned off. Reviewing the GamuT S-9's which go down to 17hz, so I don't need it at the moment. One of my reviewers, Jacob Helibrunn has two though! With magnepan 20.1's. pretty awesome system!

I'm thinking about it! For now the Gotham is turned off. Reviewing the GamuT S-9's which go down to 17hz, so I don't need it at the moment. One of my reviewers, Jacob Helibrunn has two though! With magnepan 20.1's. pretty awesome system!

OMG. How do they blend with 20.1s?

Go with the JL 113 if you can swing it or the 112... WHen it comes to subs you can never have enough power or cone area! I have two 113's and they are phenomenal.

OMG. How do they blend with 20.1s?

They blend perfectly. Honestly, the Gotham has blended perfectly with everything from tiny mini monitors all the way up to the CLX's. I've been blown away by how high up that big woofer can play without getting muddy or cloudy.

It is a fantastic piece of gear. Very expensive, but worth it.

Go with the JL 113 if you can swing it or the 112... WHen it comes to subs you can never have enough power or cone area!
This is one of my concerns: I am looking for the most musical, Is the smaller JL F110 more musical. I am not looking for the most slam, I am looking for the most musical, blending sub.

If you'd like a great deal on a mint F110, PM me... I still have one left. I've used the F110 with my 1.6's with excellent results and have heard the 110 at my dealer with the 1.7s excellent combination.

I used to use a pair of F110's with my CLX's but upgraded to a Gotham earlier this year, so still have one left.

Let me know I can definitely save you a few bucks! Happy to help.

Thanks alot Jeff,
As soon as I determine which model I should purchase, I will definitely keep your offer in mind.

I picked up a pair of F113s for our basement home theater build, but couldnt resist dragging them upstairs to the two-channel room. Normal setup is Requests with a pair of Descents, but the F113s made a HUGE difference, and that was before running the calibration mode. After calibration the bass was phenominal and well-integrated with the Requests. We started out with two subs but found out that one would have done just as well.
Great subs, almost unbelievable build quality. Requires a buddy just to move them around (!)

Tj

This is one of my concerns: I am looking for the most musical, Is the smaller JL F110 more musical. I am not looking for the most slam, I am looking for the most musical, blending sub.

That's why I liked the F110, really fast and easy to integrate with panels.

It's a nice match with the Magnepans....

Back