New Woofers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mllanos1111

Reaction score
To make a long story short. I was out and my son fried both of the woofers on my Aerius.
I spoke to ML and they said that they no longer have the woofers for that speaker but they have the ones for the Aeon and they are superior, but will need a little retrofitting.
I'm assuming the holes don't line up but I wont know until I speak to them.
Does Dynaudio or some other company make drivers that would work for these?
Since I am going through the trouble of replacing them I'm wondering if something else is available.

Thank You!

Wow, sorry to hear that! Hopefully he'll be cutting the grass "gratis" for the rest of the summer!!

I can't help you with your question, but I'm certain somebody will be along soon to help you get your speakers back to working order.

Note to dad: Hide remote!

Gordon

To make a long story short. I was out and my son fried both of the woofers on my Aerius.
I spoke to ML and they said that they no longer have the woofers for that speaker but they have the ones for the Aeon and they are superior, but will need a little retrofitting.
I'm assuming the holes don't line up but I wont know until I speak to them.
Does Dynaudio or some other company make drivers that would work for these?
Since I am going through the trouble of replacing them I'm wondering if something else is available.

Thank You!

Hola...just do the change, and it is not too difficult to do the job...just a little of patience. The new woofers are better to my liking...happy listening,
Roberto.

I recently had my Sequel II woofers rebuilt at a local audio shop, maybe if you do not want to retrofit new mismatched woofers you could consider rebuilding your existing woofers.

Aerius has sealed 8 inch woofers, and Aeon has 8 inch vented. Depending on the woofer's specs, using the Aeon's woofer in an Aerius might not be an ideal replacement, but it is possible it could work. If someone could tell us the model (or the T/S parameters) of woofer the Aeon uses, we can be sure.
Can you read the label on the current Aerius woofers? If not, can you measure the outside diameter accurately and post a pic of front and back, and we can try to figure out a replacement?

Reconing the existing woofers is also a good option.

I will take a picture of the woofer tomorrow and post it. What I did notice is that the drivers are not grinding they actually seem to move pretty smoothly.

I spoke a speaker repair shop and they said sometimes what happens is that the flex wire breaks and that's easily repairable by removing the dust cap.

I'm going to have them take a look and hopefully it's an easy fix.
If in fact they are toast then I need to find a good replacement.
Martin Logan is asking about $250 to replace both, that seems a bit steep since they dont really look like anything special.
Seems to me that I could pick up some nice Dynaudio drivers or similar for that price.

Pictures of Woofer

Here are the pictures of the woofer.

Attachments

• speaker-1.jpg
    speaker-1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 688
  • speaker-2.jpg
    speaker-2.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 680
  • speaker-3.jpg
    speaker-3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 668
Might be worth checking with The Speaker Exchange, in Tampa...
http://www.speakerex.com/

They might be able to repair, or sell you an equivalent replacement. However, I would buy a PAIR if replacing.

I took the woofer to Orange County Speaker to have a look and the speaker was indeed blown.
I am going to have them recone the woofers for $59 each and go from there.

He said they should sound pretty darn close to the originals so I figure that it should probably be a closer match than the other woofer ML was recommending from the Aeon.
I will let you know how they sound when I get them back together.

I took the woofer to Orange County Speaker to have a look and the speaker was indeed blown.
I am going to have them recone the woofers for $59 each and go from there.

He said they should sound pretty darn close to the originals so I figure that it should probably be a closer match than the other woofer ML was recommending from the Aeon.
I will let you know how they sound when I get them back together.
Make sure the shop understands that they need to be re-coned with 4 Ohm voice coils (or the XO point is going to be twice as high with 8 Ohm voice coil).

Here is what the reconed woofer looks like.
They did an amazing job and it looks pretty darn close to the original.
I'll let you know how it sounds when they are put back together.
Worst case scenario they will become bedroom speakers and time to upgrade to new ones for the mains.

Attachments

• IMG00172-20100609-1124.jpg
    IMG00172-20100609-1124.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 457
I've finally had some time to spend with the speakers since I had them reconed.
Orange County Speakers had custom cones made for them and I have to say that they sound amazing.
I dont have a way to AB with the old one but Ive owned the speakers long enough to know that they as good as new.

Hello,
I am really sorry to read what happened to your Speakers. Even more disconcerting is that Martin Logan no longer has Replacement Woofers.

I am really not liking the direction things seem to be going. In the "Martin Logan is Moving Production to Canada" Megathread, a ML Representative stated that not all Models will have Replacement Panels available. Now, a very popular former Model does not have Replacement Woofers available.

Martin Logan used to be a Company where you felt safe in the knowledge that Customer Service and Legacy Model Support were World Class.

As it becomes more clear that Replacement Parts for Legacy Models is uncertain, Resale Value is going to be adversely affected. This is terrible as many ML Owners who choose to upgrade factor the Selling of their current ML's in the Calculus.
Cheers,
JJ

Back