Odyssey ML Logo Light out, weak output

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYMike

Reaction score
I've noticed the blue ML light on one of the Odysseys getting dim, and now it is out completely, all the while that channel seemed to be losing its level - nothing else has changed in the system, swapped inputs, etc - still that speaker is weak. Any thoughts? Can the light dimming and out be related at all to speaker performance? I wouldn't think so.

Hi Mike,

I had to replace a circuit board in one of my Odyseey's due to a waek panel, less output than the other speaker. At the time, Jim Power had me swap panels from speaker to speaker to see if it was the same.

Sure enough, with the good panel, the speaker still had weak output. Jim said it is usually the circuit board in the back of the speaker, as there are 2 circuit boards per speaker. I swapped in the new circuit board and the problem was solved.

I would suggest getting in touch with ML service department. If you swap panels out , the good speaker panel to the bad speaker, will tell the story. If the speakers plays at full output, you know the panel is bad, if it doesn't play at full output, it's the circuit board.Swapping the panels out took less than 1 hour start to finish.Hopefully , if it is a circuit board that the warranty is still on your speakers as it is quite pricey.

Don't worry about the circuit board swap either, it is quite easy to do also. ML service department should have you up and going in no time.

Goodluck, Greg

Last edited:
Swapping panels

Greg - thanks, sounds like the plan - are there directions any where to swapping the panels? Haven't heard back from ML yet, sent them an email yesterday.
Mike

Hi Mike,

I am sorry , I coundn't find the attachment JP gave me for swapping the stator panels. On looking at his 1st email, he suggested vaccumming the panel with a powerful shop vac first off before doing any other measure.

Swapping panels

I saw that in a string and did vacuum but will do it again with a heavier vac - still, I noticed that channel fading a few months ago and it continually got worse - which tells me it's a circuit board issue more than a panel ( would a panel not just fail immediately?) - I was so psyched for this Cary amp addition to my system and the audio gods are not smiling as the speaker seems to have totally "failed" at just that time - now I have my 25 year old Boston A150s in the system - wow, they you would never know they were that old (I reconed the woofers about 4 years ago) - and will bring out the old Magnepan MG2As later in the week. thanks again for your help
mike

I assume that the panels swap just like the Ascent's do and if that is the case, just grab a screw driver and start taking the screws out of the back of the panels. There are like 8ish per side and the wire connections is on the bottom left, remove the screw, remove the panel, unplug the connection. The panels come right off with the screws removed.

thanks

yeah, it ain't a vacuum thing - thought it might be that simple, thanks for the help - unplug, unscrew, uncouple, reverse.
Mike

Swapped Panels

Same result - one speaker significantly lower than the other, and the blue ML light is out completely (I checked the red button, no effect) - so it must be the board then?
Mike

In touch with ML

Melodei at ML thinks power supply - I will keep you all posted.
Mike

The power supply is the circuit board I was talking about, the one in the back of the speaker. Jim Power said it was always that one 99% of the time. Just make sure you attach tape to the wires that label where they go on the board when you take it out.

Are ML going to replace it for free??

I found it was best to do with 2 people as it makes it easier. If you have any questions when you do it , email [email protected]

Back