The Use of Double Bass with Vantage, Spire, Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle Jack

Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently using a single Depth in my ML HT (Vantage, Stage, Vista, Depth) and have since purchase, had all Speakers crossed over at 80 Hz.

While it sounds quite good, my Room is fairly large and given that the Bass from Martin Logan's ESL Models equipped with Active Woofers offer tight accurate Bass as opposed to booming sloppy Bass, it has got me thinking.

I intend to purchase a 2nd Depth, but I have also been considering upgrading my Vantages as main Speakers and at this point, I really can do one or the other.

I am just curious to see if anyone chooses to run their Mains Full Range with Double Bass? Again, my thoughts are that the Bass provided from the Mains will be quality more so than quantity. I realize the Summit has far greater Bass ability.

Any thoughts would be truly appreciated. I realize I can try it and see what I think, but I am merely curious and would appreciate other Members thoughts.
Cheers,
JJ

JJ,

Just be careful.

It's easy to cross that line of how much is "enough".

I know HT users have different needs than those who listen to two channel but it appears you are aware of the issues.

I will tell you this, having two woofers will provide more "even" bass response in any room. That fact, I believe, has been well documented.

Given the fact that I use my Summits for two channel only, I have no desire to augment the bass.

GG

PS: If you use your system more for HT than music listening, my sense would be to add the sub. If the opposite, you may want to consider buying a pair of used Summits.

Last edited:
I'll have to second Gordon's comments.

I have stereo subs in my 2 channel rig. If I had the Summit or X, I possibly would not have needed the subs, only guessing here, since I don't own either of the two above. The additional woofers in the Summit and X are nearly the size of my subs so Gordon's reasoning is in the ball park. Now there is a bit more control over the subs being separate from the mains which I believe can be a slight edge over the S & X in the very bottom.

As far as HT, my gear is all ancient and and is not high on my list of things to update so others will have to advise you there.

Gordon

Latest posts

Back