Which center channel with SL3 ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aworkx

Reaction score
Hello,

I've four SL3 for front and rear channels and logos as the center channe in HT systeml. I think having a lack of sound level in the center. Increasing the amplifier doesn't solve the trouble as it becomes a bit agressive.
So I saw a few pair of aerius i and wonder if it would be better to use as a center channel....I could place it behind the screen.
Any advice would be very appreciated ;)

Thanks,

Olivier

Unless you have a micro-perforated screen I do not see the point.How loud are you playing the Logo's and at what crossover are you using? I personally would not ever run the Logo's below 100hz.This will drastically raise the SPL it is able to produce cleanly.I listen alot of times at THX levels and have never heard my Logo's strain.

Crossover is 60hz. Not sure the panel is in good shape... How could I check ?

I personally think 60hz is too low and would start at 100hz or a little higher.I have never felt the need to run a center channel below 100hz.IMO most voices seem to have a little to much bass with a lower crossover.I think you will have to go to the stage to be able to play louder.If you want to run another SL3,I would recommend a micro-perf screen.They are rather pricey,but they are worth it.They will not degrade the sound behind them whatsoever.

Yep, Horchem is right, 60Hz is way to low for the Logos. I had one, so I know it will bottom out the mid-range cone driver, even if crossed over at 80.

If you do indeed have an acoustically transparent screen, then an Aerius would make a nice center. But, and this is important, you need to realize that its horizontal dispersion is limited, so your seating will need to be far enough back from the screen to have a wide enough listening area.
But with a front-projection, I'd assume you are at least 4 or 5 meters away from the screen, right?

BTW, I run a large center behind an acoustically transparent screen, and it works very well.

I also have the SL3's and the best center that matches those fronts is absolutely the Theater i. There is no comparison - similar material, matches perfectly in my system

I agree; you should get a speaker designed for center channel duty like the Theater. I have a Aerius i set up with the Cinema center and they are a perfect sonic match. Script i cover the rear and it sounds very seamless. With your set up, the Theater i would do wonders!

Hello,

I've four SL3 for front and rear channels and logos as the center channe in HT systeml. I think having a lack of sound level in the center. Increasing the amplifier doesn't solve the trouble as it becomes a bit agressive.
So I saw a few pair of aerius i and wonder if it would be better to use as a center channel....I could place it behind the screen.
Any advice would be very appreciated ;)

Thanks,

Olivier
Hola Olivier...I think that you have a panel problem...your Logos is not working right. To check it, it is better to contact Martin Logan service dept. and ask for Melodie. She will guide you through all the possibilities and solve your problem. To me, looks like a panel problem. When you are closed to the panel, can you hear it when playing music or speech? If not, then the panel is bad or you have a power supply issue. Try to contact Melodie, she is great in trouble shooting!...happy listening,
Roberto.

Just to make sure..
Have you checked polarity of the speaker? You could also make sure that no DSP is active for trouble shooting.

Hello,
If you are using a Screen that is Designed to be used with Speakers behind it, using an Aerius i would be an awesome choice for a Center Channel.

Most people do not use Projector/Screen setups which makes using a 5 foot tall Speaker as a Center Channel absolutely impossible. However, in your situation, you would have a Speaker that is a far closer match to your SL3's than any Center Channel (Theater, Logos, Cinema, Stage, Motif, etc) would be.
Cheers,
JJ

Back