Tube Traps Arriving Soon

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOON

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to buy a 2 sets of A.S.C 16" tube traps by 78 inches high this week. I plan on putting them in the 4 corners of the room with probably the reflective side facing into the room, but will have to experiment.

I currently have a set of 5 foot quarter rounds only in the corners behind the speakers, side wall reflection points are covered as well as additional absorbtion behind the listening position.

I am considering the GIK D1 diffussers for behind the speakers, 2 sets behind both stators.Have to mull that one over a bit more.Anyway, I will get back to you guys after I have the traps in place.

I just had major surgery, so I am off work and confined to the couch. I will be getting them later next week and relay the differences with them installed.

Cheers, Greg

Attachments

• left odyssey + ASC trap.jpg
    left odyssey + ASC trap.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 355
  • speaker & trap.jpg
    speaker & trap.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 367
  • stereo , ASC trap, logan.jpg
    stereo , ASC trap, logan.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 342
  • rear of room.jpg
    rear of room.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Added pictures to 1st post,
Cheers, Greg

Cool! The look very classy, like they were made to match your decor even!

Greg, have you played yet with the reflective vs the absorptive side facing into the room?

Looks great. I would be cautious about putting diffusers behind your speakers in that small a room. Diffusion on the front wall needs a pretty large room to be effective. You may just create more variety of reflections to smear the sound. I would concentrate on finding the right balance between absorption and bare wall up front.

Jimna - Thanks for the compliment.They do look great in the room.

Benard - Yes, I have played around with the traps and like having the diffussive side facing into the room. You can see what loohs like a round chrome peice about a quarter inch round at the top and bottom of the trap. This marks the center of the reflective side of the trap for mids and highs to go back into the room.

Rich - Since , I have around 15 feet from the chairs to the front wall, I thought that would be enough room fro some diffussion. I was looking at the GIK D1 diffussers and saw this week they came out with another diffussion product which is quite reasonable in cost. I had read diffussion is not recommended if you have less than 5 feet between you and the diffusser panel.

I have all new photo's in my system pictures as well to reflect changes , such as lowering my racking.

Cheers, Greg

Rich - Since , I have around 15 feet from the chairs to the front wall, I thought that would be enough room fro some diffussion. I was looking at the GIK D1 diffussers and saw this week they came out with another diffussion product which is quite reasonable in cost. I had read diffussion is not recommended if you have less than 5 feet between you and the diffusser panel.

Jonfo's room is something like 24' long. There is a thread on this forum where he tested everything from bare wall, to diffusion, to absorption, with a measuring rig and audio analysis software. His empirical results mirrored what I heard in my own listening tests comparing the same in my room, which is 19' long. Diffusion does not improve much on a bare wall in a room that size. Still lots of reflections that arrive soon enough to your ears to cause smearing of the image. Absorption behind the speakers produced the clearest image and soundstage.

Latest posts

Back