Panels on newer M.L series..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reybent

Reaction score
Have any of you guys any opinion of how the life expectancy of the newer panels? :music:

Sure, I have an opinion ;)

Seriously, I would expect them to outlast the original series due to the following factors:

• Reductions in manual steps during assembly process lead to greater consistency and alignment
  • Improvements in adhesives - this is probably the most important
  • Improvements in spars technology (less UV sensitive, stable resonance)
  • Mounts (airframe) seem more rigid around the stators and appear to hold them better over time.

But the list above applies to gen1 replacement panels built in the last five or seven years as well.

The underlying tech of a pair of stators and some conductive mylar is pretty basic, so the materials and process used in assembly are about the only areas for improvements.

IMHO, Foam and glue degradation are common causes of older panels starting to kazoo or have output decreases.

But then, these phenomena affect pretty much all speaker tech. Woofer foam degradation is rampant in any brand that's been around 20+ years.

I have an opinion too. It depends wholly on the environment in which they are kept. Look after them, keep them clean and they'll probably outlast you. Abuse them, smoke in your house and you'll be lucky to get 10 years (if that).

Last edited:
The people who know about this- people who design and actually build stats will tell you the ML's mylar diaphgrams lose conductivity over time- the process of making the mylar conductive as used by ML simply wasn't as good as other stat manufacturers.
Hopefully they are now using a process that lasts a lot longer.
It is possible to apply a better material to aged panels and fix them as good as new, but seems to me that a lot of money has been made by replacing the whole panel. Why the ML community has taken this without a whimper is mystery to me. Seems it's easier to blame the environment than poor manufacturing.
I have 3 sets of ML's , love the sound, but dont like ML's attitude- they should have addressed this problem long ago.

Back