Help a HT guy discover 2 channel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projectormovielover

Reaction score
After living with my ML source I feel I need to get a pre,cdp and amp for 2 channel

Unlike most martin logan owners I'm young ,good looking and dont have alot of money:ROFL:

I know this is a very broad question factoring in the budget ,listening prefs and room size etc but realy I am not that fussy about it being the best

I just want my logans to sound better than they do hooked up to this onkyo 1007 avr

I will only have about $1000 for the pre and amp combo with around $400 for the cdp . I would be looking for used equipment

I would be getting AQ $100 used speaker cables and some used $80 ics from a friend soon

I truely have no idea about what my own ideas are on this 2ch stuff

For the amp I would like clarity over high volume

Sorry, you lost me, I don't do two channel.

But I think it is because I am old, not good looking, and I have lots of....you know, like most Martin Logan owners.:D

But I think it is because I am old, not good looking, and I have lots of....you know, like most Martin Logan owners.:D

LOL

This advice is alot to ask but even just listing one used component can give me a prie point for the future and idea of what I should be looking at :music:

Joe, don't you have some experience with one of the Oppo players?

I was unaware that most Martin Logan owners were Rich (sic) like you; I certainly am not in that group.

Last edited:
Example:

$1200 Pre/Power Amp: Used Parasound HCA-1200 and a used Conrad Johnson PV-10.

$400-$600 CD: Used Cambridge, Rega, Music Hall, Rotel, Arcam, etc.

All in one player would be an Oppo if you are looking for DVD, CD, SACD, etc. I am not a fan of the sound of the Oppo but you may like it.

Last edited:
Sunfire amps seem to be one of the favorites on the forum. Also a few here have Emotiva line as well.

You might consider a cheap CDP as a transport and look at buying a DAC, this will give you more flexibility.

Last edited:
Joe, don't you have some experience with one of the Oppo players?

I was unaware that most Martin Logan owners were Rich (sic) like you; I certainly am not in that group.

Au Contraire, Mon Frère , there are many ways to be Rich, I for one believe you are very rich when it comes to experience, cooking talent, friends, taste in speakers, and I could go on and on.

My original point was an attempt to point out how totally off-base PML was in his characterization of "Most Martin Logan Owners." , but maybe he was just joshing us and I fell for it.

Bernard as usual you are right, I should know better than to try any deep humor here a MLC, it just doesn't suit me.

This whole thread just has a weird vibe to it but then it may just be me.....it usually is.:D

Okay, I will byte.

You might take a look at the OPPO BDP 83SE, this is a significant step up for two channel listening and you get all the other formats thrown in for free along with pretty good multichannel music.

Sunfire is a good way to go for amplification and then a Preamp with a HT bypass is another way to go.

Id grab a used Threshold 400A, which you should be able to pick up for about $5-600 bucks, a Krell PAM 5 preamp (solid state) or an ARC SP-9 preamp or CJ-PV10 preamp (tubes). You should be able to get either of these three for about $5-700. The Krell is pretty neutral, the ARC slightly warm overall sound and the CJ a bit warmer overall sound.

CD player, I'd suggest a clean Denon 3910. Plays everything and you can usually find em for about $300 bucks now that everyone has OPPO fever.

Id grab a used Threshold 400A, which you should be able to pick up for about $5-600 bucks, a Krell PAM 5 preamp (solid state) or an ARC SP-9 preamp or CJ-PV10 preamp (tubes). You should be able to get either of these three for about $5-700. The Krell is pretty neutral, the ARC slightly warm overall sound and the CJ a bit warmer overall sound.

CD player, I'd suggest a clean Denon 3910. Plays everything and you can usually find em for about $300 bucks now that everyone has OPPO fever.

You've received some pretty good advice above and in this thread already. May I suggest that you work on your 2 Ch rig one piece at a time. (I do my HT via 2 Ch and it is great BTW - Just one quality set of speakers and good power, conditioning, and display - really fun). Anyway, focus on a strong power amp and that will surely make you system sound better. Then go for the other pieces as you save. Try not to skimp on the CDP because if you have a poor source, it doesn't really matter how good the rest is. And the OPPO is modable in the future, so that's at least worth some thought and consideration. I just bought a Cambridge 840C and it is the best CDP I've ever owned. It absolutely makes my system sing. I know that is your total budget. So, it's just my experience and thought I'd share. I had several other CDP's in the $550 to $1,000 range and they couldn't hold a candle to the 840C. Not being a fanboy, it is just plainly obvious in its presentation. It is really amazing and I really try to get home and listen if I can. Wasn't doing that before. And I'm glad I bought a solid foundation so when I upgrade to better sources I can realize the upgrades full potential.

Keep us posted on your thoughts and next move. We're interested, at least I am. Cheers and have fun.

Au Contraire, Mon Frère , there are many ways to be Rich, I for one believe you are very rich when it comes to experience, cooking talent, friends, taste in speakers, and I could go on and on.
Thank you, Joe. I didn't realize that you were a philosopher; you should check out the works of Paulo Coelho.

Id grab a used Threshold 400A, which you should be able to pick up for about $5-600 bucks, a Krell PAM 5 preamp (solid state) or an ARC SP-9 preamp or CJ-PV10 preamp (tubes). You should be able to get either of these three for about $5-700.
I'll second the ARC; I have had mine a very long time and am pleased with it. If you are into modding you can improve it substantially.

Thank you, Joe. I didn't realize that you were a philosopher; you should check out the works of Paulo Coelho.

Actually he is one of the best, if not the best at succinctly putting great thoughts to paper or I guess screen now a days.:D

““When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.””

I like to add, "it only depends how much you really want to achieve it, and then you will know when to achieve it"

But back to the OP.

The suggestions so far are really good, PML can now go down any one of the suggested paths and he is guaranteed to achieve what he has asked for.

Get an integrated amp with a bypass feature.

I use a Marantz PM8003 integrated amp myself, about $999msrp new.

Run the LT/RT pre-outs from the Onkyo into the Direct IN on the Marantz.
Then, if you have record player or CD player run that direct to the MArantz.

When watching video and using the Onkyo you have the Marantz in "Bypass"
mode, which disdables the volume control on the Integrated amp, which is now powering your Source's.

When using just the 2ch system you leave the Marantz in normal (not bypassed) mode, and the Onkyo can be off.

This gives you the best of both worlds, great 2ch and still allowing the Onkyo to be in use for video.

I have tried both Summit X and Vistas with the Marantz, and it is more than capable.

Back