Thread: Nikolay Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov (and Igor Stavinsky) - Scheherazade

Default Nikolay Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov (and Igor Stavinsky) - Scheherazade

Genre: Classical
    Composers: Nikolay Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov (and Igor Stavinsky)
    Pieces: Scheherazade (and The Firebird Suite)
    Conductor: Myung-Whun Chung
    Performer: Frederic Laroque
    Label: Polygram Records / Deutsch Grammophon
    Catalog #: 437818
    Year: 1994

General Comments
    February 2004 Dan Prorok
    This is one of those recordings that just sings through my SL-3’s. I am always convinced after hearing the first violin solo that I must be in the hall of listening to a live performance. Yes, it has that characteristic, powerful brassy and percussive Rimksy-Korsakov sound, but this particular performance also dedicates ample attention to the strings, which lyrically deliver a delicate performance and build the tension before the brass and percussion ultimately build crescendos to the much-anticipated climax. I especially appreciate how after a note is held in a quiet passage how there is just enough ambient acoustics of the hall recorded to allow the note to “hang on” in my living room as well. I find it very convincing and never tire of this disc.

Tom,

If you are a real fan of Sheherazade, I would recommend you to have a look at Gergiev's recording in Decca (Kirov Orchestra)

System #25: Martin Logan Clarity + Cinema i + Fresco + Grotto ; Harman Kardon Signature 1.0 + 1.5 + 1.3 ; Denon DVD A1 XVA (5910) ; Sim2 HT 300 Evo.

What about this:

Vienna State Opera Orchestra/Hermann Scherchen: Deutsche Gramophon/Westminster
    Rimski-Korsakow: Scheherezade/Tschaikowsky: 1812

I have a CD only (471 215-2) - but I have read somewhere that somebody has made a re-issue of the LP in 180 or 200g.

Wonderful performance and great recording from 1958.

Tom....This is a favorite classical piece of mine too. I have the RCA Living Stereo on SACD and for CD versions, have you had a chance to compare the version you have to the RCA or others? The RCA is 3 Channel SACD.

I also had the chance last year to hear the NSO perform this piece, and it was a great show.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey guys,

even though it shows that I posted this, I really just copied this post into the new site from the old forum. Dan Porok is the author who submitted that review, as it shows in the post comments.

Tom.
    Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!