Stacked ML's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westoz

Reaction score
Anyone ever stacked identical pairs of ML's side by side?
I have 2 pairs of SL-3 and going to try them stacked together- 2 speakers per side. Wonder what it does to imaging/sweet spot/beaming issues?
All are active with subs so it will be a 10 channel set up.

I thought "you can't be serious", and then I found I was right. That would be adjacent SL3s, not stacked!

I wonder what it will do to the imaging too. Could be interesting. When and if you do it, reporting back with pics would be cool.

Phil Spector's Wall of sound? :D

Interesting :rocker:

Would make RUSH sound like they are in the room :bowdown:

If you try it, make sure you use the flashlight method on all 4 speakers. I'm amazed at the results you get with that method - everything seems to snap into place.

You should use identical power amplifiers.

One of our members here has 4 CLS's all next to one another. Looks like an awesome setup, would love to hear how it sounds.

Side by side = bad idea

major comb-filtering.

If you want more panel area, get a bigger panel model.

Now, if you want a killer center channel, do stack four or five center channels to create a high-performance center. this guy is selling 5 Logos, sound like a good project for someone :cool:

Can you explain exactly what comb-filtering would do please?
Would it be a freq or phase problem?
Can it actually be measured or is just a supposed "nasty"

Side by side would lead to an interference pattern:
)
)

But what if the panels were arranged as adjacent arc segments of the same circle? This would require custom-built cabinets, as the stock cabinets would interfere with each other.....

Well I tried 2 pairs of SL-3 side by side, ie adjacent to each other, 4 speakers in total.
It didn't work, as suggested, there was a interference pattern that made them less focused and defined, imaging and soundstaging reduced.
Oh well, now at least I know.

cheers to thinking outside the sweet spot, and then following through.

Back