SL3 vs Quest

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb6

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of SL3s (which sound great). I've got an opportunity to buy a pair of Quests for around the same price. My question is - what is the consensus for which pair sound better? I believe the Quest has a 12" woofer and wider panels, but is likely 3-5 years older. Crossover point is a bit different also. Any comparative assessments would be very much appreciated!

I personally would go for the Quests.Bigger panel will equal a bigger soundstage and the woofer will give you deeper bass.Remember that the panels and woofers will be quite a bit more if you ever replace them.It's horrible to have such a decision :D--Good luck.

Go for the Quests. Bigger panels are indeed better on the Gen1 products.

And as Horchem points out, you'll still need to buy new panels regardless. So get the bigger model (if you have the room for them).

I owned the SL3 and it was/is excellent ...listened to the Request and midrange image was very sightly better due to lower crossover(?)...but I felt the quality of bass was better with the SL3.

Thanks to all for your advice. I think I'm sticking with the SL3s for several reasons. First, from what I am told, the original owner who I bought them from babied them, and they certainly look and sound like new (sounds part - as best as I can tell). Second, I surmise that the SL3s can be up to 5 years newer than the Quests, and I'm hoping to NOT have to replace panels anytime soon. 3rd, while my room is big enough for the Quests (18.0" x 19" x 9") I think the SL3s are also just fine in this space, so I'm happy with what have - for now. And my plan for the SL3s is to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and pick up a Dynamo or Grotto to augment the bass a tad which will also double as a sub for the home theater setup.

I have owned the SL3, Quest, QuestZ and the ReQuests. I really liked the SL3's the best. IMHO, they worked and sounded the best in my room with my gear. :music:

Back