Soundproofing a room - decoupling, green glue, etc.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David. Have a look at this link. http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/library/articles/staggered_stud_wall_construction/

If posting links like this is frowned upon someone please let me know. Its a generic article.

This is exactly what i was planning on doing on my existing walls in the new room. there is only one new wall needed and i will be using 2x6" plates and staggered studs, 24" OC with rockwool/fiber woven between.

but the existing (and supporting) wall is in place, so i was going to do as your link describes, but instead of adding on 1" i'm planning on adding on 2 inches to bring the plates to the size of a 2X6.

the advantage is that the extra inch allow you to weave the insulation between the drywall and the offset stud. in your supplied example they only put the insulation between the studs and leave air gaps between the drywall and the studs. i would suspect that a bit of a drum effect would result.

Oddly enough, if there's absorption in the cavity, you're OK. No need to fill the cavity. Per the data here :http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/obj/irc/doc/pubs/ir/ir766/ir766.pdf Courtesy of the NRC in Canada

Also, you'll want to install insulation vertically for the reason you already described. Weaving will pinch the insulation, and this compression will allow conduction. The NRC tested a difference in staggered studs with horizontal vs. vertical insulation.

Oddly enough, if there's absorption in the cavity, you're OK. No need to fill the cavity. Per the data here :http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/obj/irc/doc/pubs/ir/ir766/ir766.pdf Courtesy of the NRC in Canada

Also, you'll want to install insulation vertically for the reason you already described. Weaving will pinch the insulation, and this compression will allow conduction. The NRC tested a difference in staggered studs with horizontal vs. vertical insulation.

yeah, when i said "weave" i didn't mean having the insulation horizontally, i suppose that "staggering" the insulation is more accurate.

i suspect that compressing the insulation down to 1" is why the article you showed doesn't weave (errrr, stagger) the insulation.

on a related note, i read in another article that if you layer the drywall use different thicknesses of drywall (say a layer of 3/8 and a layer of 1/2) to provide differnet resonances in the two sheets.

on a related note, i read in another article that if you layer the drywall use different thicknesses of drywall (say a layer of 3/8 and a layer of 1/2) to provide differnet resonances in the two sheets.

This is true unless you use a specific damping compound. In that case, the benefit of dis-similar resonance (1/2" and 5/8") is gone, since the damping compound is directly addressing resonance. You would go for the mass = double 5/8" rock.

Hi everyone.
Thanks ted for the interesting link. It has a good set of instructions.
QuietRock has some interesting stuff. Check it out here:
http://www.quietrock.com/quietrock-selection-guide.html
I was wondering if the staggered stud wall and a layer of Quietrock would work out.
They have mentioned 55 STC for the lowest cost product on one side of the wall.

You should post your affiliation with that company, not act as a consumer. You have posted this same info on several forums as your first post...

I had this work done a few days ago. The green glue has not completely dried because of the high humidity in the Midwest, but I already can jam the music at 70-75 db without anyone being able to hear it on the other side of the wall. Once the green glue dries completely in another week and I install some door seals, I will be able to jam at 80-85 db any time - day or night.

John Hile at the Soundproofing company is very helpful with the entire process. Highly Recommended!

That's great David. In humid areas a glue can take a few weeks to completely dry. As it dries, small polymer components are linking up to create long polymer chains.

If you rap on the board with a knuckle, you will hear a difference over the next few weeks.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies. I believe the Soundproofing company is a legit operation. Ethan Winer recommends it on his site, and I don't see him recommending shysters.

Speaking of Ethan's website, here is a link a video he made, showing his knowledge as well as his "kinky" humor. There is a warning at the beginning of it in case you're easily offended by the female body.

Ethan's Video

A bit off topic, but wouldn't you all agree we need a break once in a while from all this audioNerd talk? ;)

Not sure if I would call it educational, I can't seem to recall a single word she said ;)
Certainly enjoyed it thou!

Back