Minor system upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had my Purity's for a little more than three months now, and have really enjoyed them. I have been using the pre amp stage from my Cambridge Audio 640 Integrated amp to supply the signal, and felt that was probably the weak link in my system.
Yesterday i picked up a used Audio Research LS 7 pre amp,in pristine condition, from Canuck Audio Mart. I'm not familiar with their products, but after several chats with the seller about the pre, I took a chance, and it paid off.
This is my first experience with anything "tube" , and man, am I hooked!! Much more body to the sound, the soundstage seems wider and for sure has gained depth that wasn't there with the Cambridge.
Also put a set of Black Diamond cones under my cd player before getting the pre- and that helped tighten things up. My upgrade-itis has been temporarily satisfied... for now :devil:

Doe any one have any experience with Audio Research products, especially power amps? I'm starting long range plans for the next upgrade, maybe Vista's and a power amp.

Terry.

Doe any one have any experience with Audio Research products, especially power amps? I'm starting long range plans for the next upgrade, maybe Vista's and a power amp.

Terry.

I don't have any long-term experience with their power amps, but I've had an Audio Research SP-9 Mk 2 preamp (see signature) for about 3 years now. I love it! The built-in phono stage is surprisingly good.

Just depends on how much power you think you need.

The older ARC amplifiers are actually a bit more romantic sounding, compared to the newer ones that are slightly more neutral.

A very nice balance, that should give you enough juice to drive a pair of ML's would be the VT-100. There are three generations of the VT-100, the mark I is the most reasonably priced (about 12-1500.00 USD) and a bit more on the romantic side. The mark II and II get more neutral and more expensive as you go up the ladder.

Personally, I'd start there with a Mark I and see how you like it.

The VT-60 is nice too, less power (60wpc vs 100 wpc) but you can find one of those for about 900 bucks.

The Classic 120 monos are big, expensive to re-tube, but sound great. 120 watt triode monos. You should be able to find a pair for about $2500 a pair. But a retube is expensive.

The smaller amps don't need as many tubes, again better place to start!

Best of luck.

Hi Terry,

Concradulations on the amp. I have no eperience with AR, only with the Black Diamond racing cones. I used to use them and found there is quite a difference between the #3 and #4 cones under the same peice of equipment.

Did you have a chance to try both sets of cones under your cd player? I am on Canuck Audio Mart as well with the same user name.

Cheers, Greg

I have the same preamp as RichTeer, and a pair of ARC monoblocks - VTM 120's, which are rare. I am very satisfied with them as they sound great and are very reliable. ARC's service department is very helpful.

Jeff has covered it pretty much. The only thing to add is that if you send the equipment to ARC to be retubed (especially the power amps), it is very expensive. I retube my stuff myself.

Hey guys:

Thanks for the feed back on your Audio Research experiences. The VT-100 looks like a good starting place, when the time comes.
As for the BDR cones the Mk. 3 were what was recommended to me, but I may pick up a set of the Mk. 4's for comparison.
One thing I've noticed since the upgrade is a real sweet sustain to some vocals and guitar that wasn't there before. :music:
As I'm just getting started down this road of "high fidelity", i appreciate and welcome the advice and experience of you all. :cool:

Hey Rich Teer, what is it about the Prima Luna's that you like?

Terry

Hello,
Audio Research makes excellent gear and is a great Company. I am quite fond of their Tube Amplifiers and have often thought of purchasing one.
Cheers,
JJ

Back