View Poll Results: Which audio format would you most like to see new material come out in the future?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • LPs

12 27.27%
  • CDs

6 13.64%
  • SACDs

16 36.36%
  • Digital downloads

11 25.00%
  • other

4 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which audio format would you most like to see new material come out in the future?

Default Which audio format would you most like to see new material come out in the future?

Which audio format would you most like to see new material come out in in the future?
    Last edited by cyclone; 04-24-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Downloads for sure.

Who the heck wants physical media?

But I also selected "other" because as per my other post - I don't think the internet will allow for super high-res files to be downloaded any time soon. I'd rather quality over the convenience of downloading, so whatever can deliver those files to me cheaply - flash memory maybe?
    Last edited by amey01; 04-24-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

ANother easy one for me: vinyl all the way, with the note that including a CD of the music in the packaging (for convenience and ease of transferring to portable devices) would be a great idea (some records already do this).
    Rich Teer, Publisher
    Vinylphile Magazine
    www.vinylphilemag.com

Vinyl + tubes + ML Spires =

I voted Downloads, as there are fewer politics around that than physical media.
    Which means, more choices for those of us looking for high-resolution multichannel audio.

If forced to use physical media, then my preferences are:

DVD-Audio (easy to rip, easy to play)

BluRay (basically DVD-A v2.0 as far as audio is concerned)
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTeer View Post
    ANother easy one for me: vinyl all the way, with the note that including a CD of the music in the packaging (for convenience and ease of transferring to portable devices) would be a great idea (some records already do this).
    I'm right there with you Rich; best of both worlds. Last one I was able to buy this way was Wilco's "Sky Blue Sky".
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

All Music...All the time...Commercial Free...

If you want to see System 95 click here

I could only hope that more SACD titles will come out but I think it's a lost cause. I would have to believe Hi Rez downloads to a server is the new frontier.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
    I could only hope that more SACD titles will come out but I think it's a lost cause. I would have to believe Hi Rez downloads to a server is the new frontier.
    I don't think it's a lost cause at all - there are multiple new releases on SACD every week. If you subscribe to either Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct's weekly newsletters you will be informed of them. Now, I will grant that they are almost exclusively Classical and Jazz releases, but they are plentiful with more than 3500 some title available.
    Last edited by MiTT; 04-26-2010 at 05:50 PM.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

All Music...All the time...Commercial Free...

If you want to see System 95 click here

I listen to blues and rock music mainly so I just don't see it happening at least in the music I lean towards. But you never know who would of thought vinyl would of made the come back it did.

It's almost a lost cause. Personally, I gave up on SACD years ago. I have got about 100 SACDs or so but the problems I face are:

A lot of them are not hybrid, so I can't put them on my music server.

Those that are on my music server are a mixed bag. Sometimes it is a treat when I come across something that is on SACD (I tag everything "SACD" at the end of the Album tag so I know). I run off, get the SACD and get better sound.

but

Half the time I don't get better sound. Some of them - I'm positive - even though the SACD layer light comes on, the sound is no better. Maybe the SACD layer is just taken from the redbook layer? In these cases, sometimes the music server even sounds better!

So in short, I gave up. I don't see why I need to pay a premium for something that is so yesterday (physical media) - especially when good sound is not a given.

Granted, there are some labels (Opus3 springs to mind) that do a fantastic job on the SACD layer!
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

I voted SACD, but only because I don't have a high res download system. Thought about it but not enough product yet.

I've taken a liking to XRCD so I choose other. I purchased a jazz collection (25 discs) from ED by Blue Note and since my taste runs in that direction, they are fabulous! While the cost is way up there compared to a Redbook, I much prefer the quality of a XRCD and have fewer discs.

Gordon
    ML Spire,McIntosh C1000 Tube Pre Amp, 2 MC501 Amps, MCD/MDA Transport/DAC Richard Gray RGPC 600 & Pole Pig,WireWorld Eclipse 6 Squared Speaker, Eclipse 5 Squared Balanced ICs, Silver Eclipse Power Cords (5)2 JL Audio Fathom F112 subs

Quote Originally Posted by amey01 View Post
    It's almost a lost cause. Personally, I gave up on SACD years ago. I have got about 100 SACDs or so but the problems I face are:

A lot of them are not hybrid, so I can't put them on my music server.

Those that are on my music server are a mixed bag. Sometimes it is a treat when I come across something that is on SACD (I tag everything "SACD" at the end of the Album tag so I know). I run off, get the SACD and get better sound.

but

Half the time I don't get better sound. Some of them - I'm positive - even though the SACD layer light comes on, the sound is no better. Maybe the SACD layer is just taken from the redbook layer? In these cases, sometimes the music server even sounds better!

So in short, I gave up. I don't see why I need to pay a premium for something that is so yesterday (physical media) - especially when good sound is not a given.

Granted, there are some labels (Opus3 springs to mind) that do a fantastic job on the SACD layer!
    My experience with SACD has also been a mixed bag. It seems quite ridiculous that some companies would release SACDs that sound no better than the Redbook version. That also happens with some HDCD releases, but at least you are not paying a premium for that format. I suppose some of it is the engineering, some of it due to a subpar master to begin with, and some it, I suspect, is due to marketing.

Default Sound format for the future?

Which audio format would you most like to see new material come out in in the future?
    I have had the opportunity to hear HRx discs (Reference Recordings) recently. They are 176.4 kHz/24-bit recordings from the original source. The sound is fantastic. It is hard to compare with SACD since there are not many parallel recordings. SACD is a mixed bag. True DSD recorded material sounds superb. However many SACDs are just reissues of non-DSD sources so the improvement would be marginal at best. I agree that the world may eventually dispense with physical disc media. The problem is that high resolution download playback depends on the quality of the USB interface which is not as good as it could be although getting better. Once this situation is remedied then SATAs with terabyte capacity would be the way to go.

I voted digital download as well. My whole collection is stored and accessed digitally so I'd prefer efforts were spent improving sound quality there.

The other thing I've really noticed is that the medium is less important then the recording...meaning I've got some low bit rate MP3's that are really well recorded and sound incredible compared to say an SACD of "insert popular artists here". Most popular music now is mixed to play back on an iPod or FM radio so no matter what medium it is stored on or what format it is in it will still sound terrible. Garbage in Garbage out...

Quote Originally Posted by babydoc View Post
    Once this situation is remedied then SATAs with terabyte capacity would be the way to go.
    I am at 7.5TB and growing. There are tons of spectacular hi resolution vinyl rips out there that sound better than my redbook copy, hands down.
    ~My Preface System~
    Check out my photography website: http://jmimna.com/
    My live concert recording company: http://fmrecordingco.com/