Which audio format do you see yourself using the most for the next 5 years?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which audio format do you see yourself using the most in the next 5 years?

• LPs

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • CDs

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • SACDs

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Digital downloads

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

cyclone

Reaction score
Which audio format do you see yourself using the most for the next 5 years?

Next five years.......dunno about "downloads", but digital files for sure. Hopefully high-res 24/192 or 32/384 if we're lucky (but I doubt it).

As for how I acquire those files, that remains to be seen. Downloads are great, but as resolution goes upwards I don't think the speed of the internet will keep up - that may be more of an issue for me than those in the US.

For me today - downloading a 24/192 FLAC is prohibitive. Other means will be required - such as USB memory or optical disc.

That said - as any music is now - they will be immediately transferred to my music server, so I want a file that is easy and transparent to transfer to any place I see fit. For now, that is the Squeezebox Server.

Last edited:
I think that there needs to be a few catagories added - definitely "Streaming from a Server" and an "All of the Above".

I selected Vinyl because it is still my media of choice, but I have been listening to a lot of music via my Sonos. If there were an "All of the Above" I'd liklely have chosen it.

I think that there needs to be a few catagories added - definitely "Streaming from a Server" and an "All of the Above".

I selected Vinyl because it is still my media of choice, but I have been listening to a lot of music via my Sonos. If there were an "All of the Above" I'd liklely have chosen it.

I agree with Tim, while I too enjoy my analog collection I have plenty of digital that is right up there as well.

My answer is based on the fact that I see myself sort of stuck where I am for the next five years due to finances. Even if a new compelling format came along, I doubt I could purchase enough to replace my 1000 or so CDs as my main staple. My analog collection is small, but special.

Looks interesting - thanks for that Jon. With iTrax, is the "24/96 PCM" FLAC or something else?

They offer multiple choices, including DTS, stereo 24/96 FLAC and all the way up to 6ch WAV.

I recently downloaded the 3.5GB of the Rachmaninoff Plays Rachmaninoff Zenph reperformance album, and man is that sweet.

I have a massive digital collection (21000 songs +) which is playing 12 hours daily, really as background. All on a 1,5 TB music server about to double in size.
Formats is mostly mp3 and about a third is FLAC, which I definitely prefer. BUT, for serious listening, I put on vinyl from about a 500 lp collection. I have ripped some of the vinyl to FLAC on the server with more to follow hence the storage increase required. As vinyl is a degradable source it makes sense that a format needs to evolve which gives the best of all worlds.

CD/SACD only because I haven't gotten into digital downloads. I've been going slow on downloads until I see enough High Res downloads that I like.

I listen to everything, even completely outdated formats like cassette, 8-track, reel to reel and mini disc.

If it's got music on it, I'll listen to it!

I listen to everything, even completely outdated formats like cassette, 8-track, reel to reel and mini disc.

If it's got music on it, I'll listen to it!

I wouldn't call reel-to-reel outdated. It's the best format we've got today - bar none!

Latest posts

Back