Are my panels broken?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projectormovielover

Reaction score
My panels make a clicking noise if I touch them

Its like the panel clicks and moves back rhen forward on the left side at the bottom on both speakers kind of like its loose

With the Sparce information you have given, I would have to guess that

the mylar has loosened up and you probably need the "hair dryer" trick, to tighten them up again.

the mylar has loosened up and you probably need the "hair dryer" trick, to tighten them up again.

The speakers are brand new I'm not doing nothing to them except maybe sending them back

Why would the mylar be loose anyway and what is the point of having aluminum framework if the mylar can loosen?

I had a very similar experience with my new Prodigy panels – it’s only happened to one of the new panels. The sounds were short subtle cracking chirps which gradually dissipated in a timeframe of 1 day. I assumed this behavior was normal since this was the 1st time the mylar membrane were charged and it needed time to settle. Needless to say, I wasn’t too concerned…should I be?

As Bernard said, what speaker and how old are they?

It could be anything from something very simple to something very complex.

Have you tightened the panels?

Could one of your pets urinated on them?

Maybe your pet bird perched on them and well you know.......#2

Like we said, you need to give us a little more info, if you want us to give you good recommendations.:D

As Bernard said, what speaker and how old are they?

It could be anything from something very simple to something very complex.

Have you tightened the panels?

Could one of your pets urinated on them?

Maybe your pet bird perched on them and well you know.......#2

Like we said, you need to give us a little more info, if you want us to give you good recommendations.:D

This responce is very stupid and I cant believe the lack of feedback on this forum . It seems that its mostly dull company on here

As for this hairdryer tech ???? No links to the post ?

Charming!:rolleyes: A newbie comes on board, gives us next to no information, ignores our request for more information (we don't even know what speakers he has, or how much movement causes the clicking), and then says that a response he got was stupid. Okay, JMAUSGP was having a bit of fun (as was I), but he did have valid questions.

PML the next time you go to your doctor refuse to take off your clothes and see how far you get. Oh, you may want to also insult the doctor after. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This responce is very stupid and I cant believe the lack of feedback on this forum . It seems that its mostly dull company on here

As for this hairdryer tech ???? No links to the post ?

Thanks for identifying yourself as a troll. I find it particularly humorous that someone who can't spell the word "response" is calling the response they got stupid. Perhaps if you had given some substantive information rather than "my panel clicks . . . is it broken", then you may have gotten a more helpful response. Garbage in = garbage out.

PML, A search for Hair Dryer Trick took exactly 0.25 seconds and returned 9 thread postings.

Before you start bitching you might want to work with people here that want to help.

If you have no sense of humor than I suggest you go to Audio Asylum where they will just assume you know nothing and really give you a hard time.

I am sure most here have heard stories of pets defecating/urinating on equipment.

If you give us more information you will be pleasantly surprised at the the response you will receive. There still may be some light hearted comments but you will get help.

PML, A search for Hair Dryer Trick took exactly 0.25 seconds and returned 9 thread postings.

Before you start bitching you might want to work with people here that want to help.

If you have no sense of humor than I suggest you go to Audio Asylum where they will just assume you know nothing and really give you a hard time.

I am sure most here have heard stories of pets defecating/urinating on equipment.

If you give us more information you will be pleasantly surprised at the the response you will receive. There still may be some light hearted comments but you will get help.

i am new i want make a new thread how do you do it i just bought a pair of martin logan aeruis i they are the best speaker i have ever heard am i loseing out not owning a pair of sumits ?

Brad, I think madkebab wants to know if he should have bought Summits instead of a pair of Aerius.

Madkebab, the Summit is definitely a better speaker, but that said, the Aerius is also a fine speaker. What are the associated electronics? You may get more by upgrading your electonics than by going to the Summits and keeping your current electronics.

You start a new thread by going to the Main Discussion section (in this case) and clicking on "New Thread". To make your posts understandable please use punctuation and sentence case rather than a jumble of sentences in lower-case all thrown together.

Last edited:
Thanks for identifying yourself as a troll. I find it particularly humorous that someone who can't spell the word "response" is calling the response they got stupid. Perhaps if you had given some substantive information rather than "my panel clicks . . . is it broken", then you may have gotten a more helpful response. Garbage in = garbage out.

Thanks for labeling me as a troll

My speaker model is the source and it does make a crunching clicking noise when I softly touch the panel . I have this running 3 quarters of the way up from the bottom left side of one panel . The same crunching clicking noise on 1 quarter of the left and 1 quarter down from the top of the other panel

I have tried to detect audible differences between the 2 speakers and it seems like there is a difference in midbass on the speaker that has the crunching clicking noise on the 3 quarters of the way up ? It seems lower in output

I do apologise to any one taken offence in my last post

PML,

Let's just say we got off on the wrong paw, claw, I mean foot. Anyway, now we at least know what model ML you have. Were your Sources purchased new, how long ago and from an authorized Martin Logan dealer. You might see why this is important information later.

There are many people here with tremendous knowledge and many years of experience with Martin Logan speakers, but you need to give us quite a bit of information, because as I said before it could be something very simple or it might be something very complex, the more info we have the better recommendation that we can give you in return.

You might want to tell us how long it has been doing this. For example has it always done this since new?

Does it do it when you don't touch them?

Is your electrical system properly grounded with no ground loops?

What is your basic setup?

Does it do it on all sources?

There are many things I could ask and others probably will, but these types of questions will give us at least a basic starting point.

Oh and you might try calling Martin Logan customer service, they may have the answer on the tip of their foot, claw, beak, tongue.:D

PML,

Let's just say we got off on the wrong paw, claw, I mean foot. Anyway, now we at least know what model ML you have. Were your Sources purchased new, how long ago and from an authorized Martin Logan dealer. You might see why this is important information later.

There are many people here with tremendous knowledge and many years of experience with Martin Logan speakers, but you need to give us quite a bit of information, because as I said before it could be something very simple or it might be something very complex, the more info we have the better recommendation that we can give you in return.

You might want to tell us how long it has been doing this. For example has it always done this since new?

Does it do it when you don't touch them?

Is your electrical system properly grounded with no ground loops?

What is your basic setup?

Does it do it on all sources?

There are many things I could ask and others probably will, but these types of questions will give us at least a basic starting point.

Oh and you might try calling Martin Logan customer service, they may have the answer on the tip of their foot, claw, beak, tongue.:D

Right now I use an onkyo 1007 and I dont play them loud incase I blow the AVR as its borrowed . I dont hear this crunching clicking noise when playing low

These speakers got deliverd to my door brand new from amazon on march and have a 5 year warranty

They have been placed in the same spot since they were deliverd and the only way I noticed this crunching clicking noise was when I went to cover them up after use

I was gently smoothing down the cover over the panel on front so there was be less chance of air and dust degrading the mylar and heard this noise . Upon further investigation I noticed the same on the other

Dont have any kids or pets and the dust covers where supplied by ML when I bought the speakers

If they have to go in for repair then do I have to pay for shipping ?

It could just require a good clean. Give them a really good clean with a high-pressure vacuum by cupping your hands around the nozzle.

Does the ES membrane have a wrinkle or crinkle in the part that is making this noise? If so, it might be time to try and re-tighten very carefully using a hair dryer (search the forum). However, these are new speakers and should still be under warranty - if the crinkle is there then get the panels replaced under warranty.

It could just require a good clean. Give them a really good clean with a high-pressure vacuum by cupping your hands around the nozzle.

Does the ES membrane have a wrinkle or crinkle in the part that is making this noise? If so, it might be time to try and re-tighten very carefully using a hair dryer (search the forum). However, these are new speakers and should still be under warranty - if the crinkle is there then get the panels replaced under warranty.

I just checked and they look fine

Maybe I will try the hair dryer

Back