Piano Black

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amey01

Reaction score
This was posted over on the Facebook Martin Logan group. Looks DAMN AWESOME!

Attachments

• cls1.jpg
    cls1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 404
Was that actually an option or is it a DIY job?

It does look cool, but I still wish I had ponied up the money for Rosewood. IMHO, that's the best looking frame ML ever made for the CLS.

Piano black is simple and elegant, plus it is definitely "the look" for high end products right now (right now you'll find it inside a Mercedes S65 AMG, a Bentley Continental, or an Aston Martin DBS, for example). If I were to get CLSs, this is definitely the finish I would want.

Last edited:
Impressive!
Great choice, piano black blends with color of stators as well as making the frame looking somewhat "slimmer" around the speaker.

Last edited:
A Friendly Warning!

Lets not lose sight of the fact that the frame is an integral part of the CLS's final sonic signature. If you go through the process outlined in the mentioned website, the process will change the resonance characteristics of the wood which will translate into a sonic change in the overal signature and balance of the CLS' sound. I am not saying that it will degrade it, but it will definitely change it!

Maybe you shouls try it on a "spare" before doing it to your primary frames...

Cheers,

:music:

Here, someone try this with their CLS frames and let us know how it goes.
I bet C.A.P. and others would have no problems with converting frames to a Piano Black Finish.
http://www.lungster.com/l/speakers/pianofinish.shtml

Lets not lose sight of the fact that the frame is an integral part of the CLS's final sonic signature. If you go through the process outlined in the mentioned website, the process will change the resonance characteristics of the wood which will translate into a sonic change in the overal signature and balance of the CLS' sound. I am not saying that it will degrade it, but it will definitely change it!

Maybe you shouls try it on a "spare" before doing it to your primary frames...

Cheers,

:music:

Very good point !

I'd be really surprised if it changed all that much....

Yes - likewise. I'm sure the surround has an effect on sound, but whether it is finished timber or piano black - I'm sure it is insignificant. I'm sure the room plays a much greater part.

Back