California Audio Show - created by Calfornians for Californians!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gordon, around that same time period, ML had a huge...

presence at the Stereophile Show in LA. They filled a ballroom with chairs and packed people in to listen to their Statement E2's power by 6 or 8(?) VTL Wotans!

I was fortunate to have had a decent enough listen on the Trade-only day, where only maybe a quarter of the seats were occupied.

On the actual days of the Show, there was so much buzz and chatter over how tremendous the sound was, that they filled the room hours in advance by sign-up sheet and were actually shut down by the LA fire marshall a couple of times during the course of the two days due to the extreme heat in the room from all of the tube gear and people.

In the end, I wonder if it just simply wasn't worth it for ML to do all of that. I doubt that it generated any sales for E2's that they wouldn't have otherwise generated at dealerships.

I think that staying away from outrageous exhibits like that makes perfect sense if they want to generate sales and excitment for their lower end bread-and-butter products that the younger audiophile can find affordable. These same buyers can aspire to go up the food chain as their budgets allow.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that ML is not the same company that it used to be, but that may also not necessarily be a bad thing if in the end it enables self-preservation.

Just toss this out there...anyone interested in going and perhaps sharing/splitting the hotel room? Maybe save a few bucks?

Erik

I guess the point I am trying to make is that ML is not the same company that it used to be, but that may also not necessarily be a bad thing if in the end it enables self-preservation.

Don't get me started, Ray. I'm warning you . . . I will derail this thread so fast it will spin your head! ;)

For the time being, I will not post the thirty-paragraph analysis of the above-quoted sentence. But consider yourself warned:

No more Rich-baiting! :D

Don't get me started, Ray. I'm warning you . . . I will derail this thread so fast it will spin your head! ;)

For the time being, I will not post the thirty-paragraph analysis of the above-quoted sentence. But consider yourself warned:

and THAT'S the edited version
nerd.gif

sarcasmhigh.gif

Ray,

The room where I heard the Statements was probably 50' X 150'. All powered by Krell. Dan D. and Gayle gave a little presentation (system overview) before playing some music.

Similar to your experience regarding crowds.

I also was lucky enough to hear them with a smallish number of people in the room.

The only other "show" moment I remember quite well (again at CES) was the Wilson demo using the Jurassic Park soundtrack. If I recall correctly, the folks who recorded the music were there to insure accuracy.

GG

Maybe this theory may explain it:

Here's an article about ML at CES in 2010

"Although they weren't an official CES exhibitor, MartinLogan did have a suite at the Mirage where Justin Bright showed me ML's recently introduced Motion Series of dynamic speakers (also on display was a new electrostatic hybrid, the specs and details of which have yet to be finalized). The Motion Series consists of six models: two bookshelf speakers, two centre channels, and two towers. Prices range from $200 each for the Motion 2 bookshelf speakers up to $1,500 for a pair of Motion 12 towers."

Hey, I recognise those words (although I spelt "finalised" the British way)! Thanks for the quote. :)

I think I met Roger at THE Show while I was in Las Vegas. Very nice guy; please say hi to him for me!

You Know Rich...

I just noticed that you are from the "great state of Alabama". I have a really cool audiophile/manufacturer friend in Alabama that I have known for a few years now.
So, thank you for confirming that it "must be something in the water":ROFL: :guiness:

Hey, I recognise those words (although I spelt "finalised" the British way)! Thanks for the quote. :)

I think I met Roger at THE Show while I was in Las Vegas. Very nice guy; please say hi to him for me!

Hi! I think my spellchecker just corrected it when I pasted. I will say hello to Roger for you!

Back