California Audio Show - created by Calfornians for Californians!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raygunn

Reaction score
CAAS - California Audio Show - The West Coast Finally gets a Show!

Hey all,
Dagogo is sponsoring a California Audio Show this summer and Martin Logan will be an exhibitor! http://www.caaudioshow.com/

Also, for those of you that may be interested, I have 3 major reviews in progress that will be published over the next several weeks; two of which are power amplifiers, Conrad Johnson ET-250S and a Pass X-350.5

Both amplifiers are turning out to be interesting alternatives to my Sunfire Siggy 2 small chassis in the way they handle the CLS2z's.

Also, for you vinyl guys, I have broken in a ZYX Omega-S and will be publishing the review by the end of this month. :rocker:

Cheers,
Ray

Last edited:
Keep us posted when the reviews are out thx Tim

Yes Jeff,

That does seem odd.

Certainly doesn't stimulate me to consider attending.

Maybe someone should revise the marketing approach.

Gordon

Well... I'm Floridian, and I'm "allowed", ;-) ...

It's a local audio show in the sense that the exhbitors that have signed to participate are largely located out West kind of bears that out.

AXPONA's attendees were largely local to the East, with few exceptions.

Regional Shows are very cost-effective for manufacturers and they get the message out to a larger audience of music-lovers and seasoned and aspiring audiophiles alike.

if it's produced "for californians" why would any of the rest of us want to go?

It's a local audio show in the sense that the exhbitors that have signed to participate are largely located out West kind of bears that out.

AXPONA's attendees were largely local to the East, with few exceptions.

Regional Shows are very cost-effective for manufacturers and they get the message out to a larger audience of music-lovers and seasoned and aspiring audiophiles alike.

So does that mean that Lawrence Kansas is that much closer to California than Jacksonville Fl. :rolleyes:

So does that mean that Lawrence Kansas is that much closer to California than Jacksonville Fl. :rolleyes:

Or, for that matter, Denver CO. So ML can make it to a first time small show in CA, but they can't seem to make it to a well-established show like RMAF? Very strange.

Or, for that matter, Denver CO. So ML can make it to a first time small show in CA, but they can't seem to make it to a well-established show like RMAF? Very strange.
ML was also not at the recent Montreal show, from what I gather from the pictures on Audiogon. I could not make it to the show, unfortunately.

I was just coming here to post the link for the show and see that raygunn beat me to it. :eek:
Roger and Constantine have been talking and I think Roger has decided to go as well. It's good to have these types of shows that are open to the public, like RMAF is. Who knows, it could turn into something that is repeated each year. RMAF started with a dream and it has turned into quite the show now. There will be more on Sanders website as we get more information.

cheers,
ang

Is ML corporate showing or a local dealer?

That is a possibility but then it should be the name of the dealer saying they are showing their ML. The way it is now most would be lead believe that corporate is going to be there.

Not going to lose any sleep over it just curious.

ML at RMAF 2010?

Here's a thought guys.

In the spirit of repairing some loss of confidence in the ML brand amongst their dedicated users and trying to answer some concerns expressed by members of this forum, wouldn't it be nice if ML corporate decided to "show" at RMAF 2010.

Corporate attendees should include an upper level management person, who can provide some concrete information on ML's future plans, as well as other appropriate personnel.

Could be a gutsy move but, in my mind, well worth the effort.

Frankly, I doubt that this will happen but one can always hope.

If they decide to attend, I'll stay close to Rich to make sure he behaves himself. :eek:

GG

Corporate attendees should include an upper level management person, who can provide some concrete information on ML's future plans . . .

Oh yeah . . . I see that happening. Not!

If they decide to attend, I'll stay close to Rich to make sure he behaves himself. :eek:

:ROFL: Classic, Gordon. :ROFL:

If you can do that, you will have accomplished what my wife has tried and failed for eighteen years. :D

I do agree that it would be nice to see ML take RMAF seriously, though.

Thanks Angela... All, I have a message from Constantine to address the CA comments...

I don't normally agree to be a sock puppet for anybody, but he did ask nicely...:banghead:
Inserted message:

Thank you very much for creating the thread on the MartinLogan Owner's Club forum. I registered on Wednesday and still haven't received approval for posting replies.

If you don't mind doing this, please post the following response from me at your convenience:

"I would like to thank Mr. Dorgay for his feedback on the slogan "created by Californians for Californians". At first glance, our slogan may seem to be alienating fellow Americans of the other 49 States from attending the show. We welcome everyone from the union to come to the show and have a good time. To that effect, we created a tab titled "POINTS OF INTERESTS" which will be filled in the coming weeks with information on tourist attractions. For local audiophiles, the slogan is meant to convey a response toward Californian audiophiles' decade-old complaint of the lack of a California show. If our enthusiasm in this regard has offended anyone in the audiophile community, we offer our sincere apologies
."

I really have nothing more to add on this.

nice message.... thanks for posting it...

I moved to CO from the SF bay area (Half Moon Bay) and do miss it (don't miss the traffic and cost of living), but oh the California coast.....especially at a time of year when most everywhere else is roasting... nice cool SF (and the weather ain't bad either)

I'm really Looking forward to it.

I haven't been to the Bay Area since 1989!

nice message.... thanks for posting it...

I moved to CO from the SF bay area (Half Moon Bay) and do miss it (don't miss the traffic and cost of living), but oh the California coast.....especially at a time of year when most everywhere else is roasting... nice cool SF (and the weather ain't bad either)

Maybe this theory may explain it:

Here's a quote by Rich Teer about ML at CES in 2010

"Although they weren't an official CES exhibitor, MartinLogan did have a suite at the Mirage where Justin Bright showed me ML's recently introduced Motion Series of dynamic speakers (also on display was a new electrostatic hybrid, the specs and details of which have yet to be finalized). The Motion Series consists of six models: two bookshelf speakers, two centre channels, and two towers. Prices range from $200 each for the Motion 2 bookshelf speakers up to $1,500 for a pair of Motion 12 towers."

Then, if you look at the Goal of the CA Show:

The purpose of this show is two-folded: to address the passions of the enormous group of music lovers, and hobbyists who we call audiophiles, and to introduce the hobby to a new generation of audience. High-end audio is a hobby, and as with all hobbies, there is the affordable way and then there is the extravagant way. Hence, at this show, you will find Exhibitors showing budget-priced equipment that scream value, and others with price tags that make your jaw drop. This will be an event fun for everybody at all age groups, and one you will always remember.

Given these two pieces of data; ML may be coming to show the lower dollar speakers as they did at CES. Their focus may now be on finding new, younger customers and selling a higher volume of lower cost products which is not a bad model for some companies.

I base my theory on prior work experience:

When I was at HP in Server R&D; we basically had two development areas :

(1) Low Volume sales, Higher Value/Cost (systems selling well over $100K)

(2) High Volume, Lower Value/Cost (systems selling for $2K).

They both had their niches. High Dollar manufacturing was done in house with more customer touch by HP. Low Dollar manufacturing was outsourced to Asia with little to no customer touch by HP.

This is just my thought, but I think that it helps to make some sense of it.

Angela

<o></o>

Last edited:
Hi Angela,

It's been several years since I've gone to CES but back in the early to mid 2000's, I attended the event every year and ML had a major presence at that show.

I will always remember their suite where they were demoing the Statement. Had a chance to meet and talk with Gayle. The following year, they were there introducing their then new Prodigy. The following year, there were showing their newly introduced home theater stat series.

So, like Rich, I do question ML's lack of presence at RMAF, given the growing popularity of the show and the fact that many other top high end companies, including your firm, choose to attend.

Gordon

The Prodigy was my first ESL listening experience in 2000. I was blown away.

Back