CLS II vs IIz

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dan, I had the large Bybees for several years now without a problem. There are four per speaker. They brought a change to the sound that was instantly noticeable. It is a matter of personal preference, but since I have a great friend and helper willing to use his Metcal soldering gun, I decided to go with it. I liked it as I have two pair of speakers and I tend to A/B the results.

I use Krell 350mcx with hi fi tuning fuses.

I am just going to post all the photos I have taken back then along with all the new things I have finally done to my clsIIz's. Renovating these speakers really is heaven. I am using panels from 2004. I will have 2011 panels installed soon, 16" high Sound Anchors stands too.

BabyDoc really inspired me to try a budget system version of what he has. I heard the Clx and Krell together, but I never did manage to resolve paying the real big money. I have a family to care for.

I easily am playing at 98Db because of those inductors. Earlier, I had trouble with strained sound at C weighted 94 Db. The speakers are much more dynamic than before. Kind of punchy, like the Summits or Clx.

I have a very large near field setup. in a ~900 square foot open room into a ~2000 square foot ground open floor plan area. There are stairwells going up and down from this level, so I don't have problems with subs. I use a lot of subs at low volume. The speakers are about 10' away from my sofa and I am playing the Bejeezus out my Miss Kittin and Groove Armada. I have not been this excited for quite a while.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos of the modified internals of your CLS IIz. Please don't forget to post them.

Tim has documented the following most important mods for the clsIIz speaker. Thanks go to Tim for doing the work using his specialized electronics skills. He is a gifted enthusiast and a great resource.

Thanks go to Brad225 for supplying the schematics.

Here is the step by step instruction set for:

Inductor installation
Bypassing the switch
Large Bybee mods

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/clsiiz/

Regards

Duke

Hello,

I would like to research the possibility to move high frequency EQ correction from CLS network to digital processing (maybe even as a general plugin for ESL hi-freq correction). So I need CLS schematics to reconstruct frequency correction parameters. Could anybody help me with schematics, please?

thanks
leo

I'm new at this club: I'm drowing the Schematics myself because there are differences and I do not thrust ML. Too many changes again and again and again.
My CLS ser. numbers: 3336 and 3337. The original pannels have been once replaced by CAC from Leiden (Holland). As you say.... capacitors, diodes and resistors have been cut away (and thrown away!).
My question is, has it been done correctly?? The new panels are: CS16B712 and CS16B713. Done a long time ago!!
Which component-change could improve the sound best!?? I play with Jadis JA80 (handmade by the Designer himself - so very old).
I think about the Bybee Speaker Kit 3 to put inside.

I have already got rid of the awfull cardas(?) female-IN. Now Furutech Rhodium. I also placed WA Quantum Chips on the 3 capacitors.

DaFi from HOLLAND CLS_internal-1L.jpg

Last edited:
A few members have ask for me to send the crossover schematics, so I am posting them for any that are interested.

Hi Brad, I have a pair of CLS panels that I have re -mylared and HV power supplies that are not original. I have no crossover networks at all so I was thinking of building some from scratch or buying just the black boxes with them in. I am unable to read your schematics here, may I get a copy directly?
Many thanks
Mike

Hi, after a long time I am uploading the photo from the CLS II, which you requested a long time ago. Unfortunately I just discovered this great forum.

Attachments

• CLSII Crossover.jpg
    CLSII Crossover.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I'm new at this club: I'm drowing the Schematics myself because there are differences and I do not thrust ML. Too many changes again and again and again.
My CLS ser. numbers: 3336 and 3337. The original pannels have been once replaced by CAC from Leiden (Holland). As you say.... capacitors, diodes and resistors have been cut away (and thrown away!).
My question is, has it been done correctly?? The new panels are: CS16B712 and CS16B713. Done a long time ago!!
Which component-change could improve the sound best!?? I play with Jadis JA80 (handmade by the Designer himself - so very old).
I think about the Bybee Speaker Kit 3 to put inside.

I have already got rid of the awfull cardas(?) female-IN. Now Furutech Rhodium. I also placed WA Quantum Chips on the 3 capacitors.

DaFi from HOLLANDView attachment 19321
With electronics that have a long production run, you may end up with changes with component parts. Sometimes, it is due to being unable to source the original part or other factors. I do trust ML because they provide a service for repair.

Please let us know what Rhodium plated inlet you have purchased. I tried to replace mine on the clsiiz.

Regarding your question, on my clsiiz, and you have the highly regarded clsii. I routinely replace the high voltage capacitor. It is something I do but may not need to be done more than once. Your cls might have a different value, but the description of the capacitor I purchased last month was Capacitor, Polyester Metallized, Cap 0.01 uF, Tol 10%, Vol-Rtg 16000 VDC, Axial.
The inductor was replaced many years ago and may never need periodic replacement. Martin Logan CLS IIz - Goertz inductor install
I have Bybees on some of the boxes and not on others. I cannot tell much difference.

Hello,

I would like to research the possibility to move high frequency EQ correction from CLS network to digital processing (maybe even as a general plugin for ESL hi-freq correction). So I need CLS schematics to reconstruct frequency correction parameters. Could anybody help me with schematics, please?

thanks
leo
If you're looking to reverse engineer the transfer function of the frequency shaping circuit in the CLS box then you need the impedance load of the bare panel. May be difficult to model or measure.

Latest posts

Back